Tuesday, December 26, 2017

December 25th

It was a delightful Christmas. Quieter than last year, when so much of the family was gathered, but just as enjoyable.
Drove to Kimballl, but I was very early--before 7:00--and since it was Christmas day, the trucks were not moving. There were few people walking and I cut it short; was just uncomfortable at being in the far end of the park when it was more or less deserted.  Home, I did this and that, finished up the last of my salad for lunch, dressed, and took off for Ojai. When I got there, El was in the throes of dinner preparations, with Greg helping, and we chatted while this went on.  Later, I watched parts of A Christmas Carol (the good one with George C. Scott) and they continued in the kitchen.
Ellen didn't get a tree this year, mostly because of the great unpleasantness of the lost/stolen purse, but she had decorated the house beautifully with strings of lit garlands, and so on.  The table was covered with a bright red tablecloth and she had put a big vase of yellow roses on it, with some ornaments around--very tasteful.  Just as tasteful were the Margaritas she and I had as cocktails. Greg made the first, original ones, then El made Skinny Girls.
And dinner was the tasteful-est:  El had cooked a big (fresh, not frozen, and organic) turkey with homemade stuffing, sweet potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, fresh string beans, whole berry cranberry sauce, and gravy, which Greg made, plus copious amounts of Chardonnay.  This was followed by pumpkin pie--natch.  After, they went to the Episcopal (I think) church for the Christmas service (Greg has gotten interested in this), but I begged off. They got home about 10:00, I guess, and we all went to bed.
Christmas day, we opened our presents, received a video call from Mike and the girls (they're in Germany, but leave for Austria tomorrow and after that, Holland and Italy), got a phone call from Tuscon, and generally had a fine time. El made eggs for breakfast, then Gregg went back to Santa Barbara to meet his boy--they were going fishing off the pier. We had leftover turkey and trimmings for lunch--sometimes I think it tastes even better the second day--then went for a drive in the hills.
I left about quarter of four and drove directly to town, determined not to skip my walk. Did the usual, then home, El called and asked me to be at her place at 10 today. We'll drive to Santa Barbara to Carolyn's (Betty is there now); and also meet Greg and possibly, his son, then go back here later in the day.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...