Saturday, December 23, 2017

Down

Well, it was a hell of a day.
Because I had been up from about midnight to 2:00 am, I slept late and didn't get up until 7:30.  Because Ellen had bought a TracPhone, I expected her to call me by then. It got later and later and I got more and more worried. Finally, the phone rang and I pounced on it.  It was Greg asking, "Did Ellen call you?"  Naturally, that was enough to make me entertain just two possibilities: 1. Driving on deserted Route 33, Ellen had gone off into a ravine or 2. Ellen had been kidnapped and was...
I told Greg I was driving over there and I did. On the half-hour trip, I continued to worry and worry. I hoped I'd see her car in her driveway and--
I did. Turns out she hadn't bought the phone card with minutes that you have to for one of those jazzy models. I went to Vons and got one and she put it in; happy day, she can even use her old number.
I left, much relieved and went home to have breakfast at 11:30, but I didn't care.  After, I took a load of clothes to the laundry. While they washed and dried, I tackled the enormous amount of paperwork I had let slide, wrote out some Christmas cards, called Betty, and cleaned up a bit.
Had one of my huge salads for lunch, then went to Trader Joe's and Wal-Mart, a major mistake.  The stores were jammed, parking lot was filled, and so on. However, I got the organic olive oil I wanted (I'm making Rosemary Oil for Greg for Christmas) and a few other items.
Thought I'd at least take my town walk, but when I drove in, it was starting to get dark and I changed my mind. Ellen called and I pulled over to talk. She's using the phone, but there are various things she can't find; she'll probably go on their web site.
When I got home, I made the Rosemary Oil. I had already washed the sprigs and the next step was to heat the oil to simmering (but not smoking) and pour it over. Now it has to sit in a dark place for a few days.
By that time, it was almost 7:00, so I skipped dinner and just had pop corn and fruit at 8:00. I feel so bad for Ellen--what a Christmas present!

2 comments:

iloveac said...

For many folks cell phones become part of ourselves. When something happens to them the loss is more than loss of a thing; it’s part of our being. I don’t use iCloud but I wonder if she can restore some info from the cloud. Seems like everything we type is in the cloud.

Mimi said...

Ellen called Verizon first thing yesterday morning, plus cancelled her credit cards and so on, so that's done. It's just such a bummer that these stinkers would do this at all, let alone with children in tow. I'm not sure what she'll restore, but she's pretty savvy about it.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...