Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Yolanda's and Beyond

The festivities continue: Went to lunch at Yolanda's with the widow and widower group. Had a "Cadillac Margarita," which was yummy--lots of lime, plus the booze--so good. Somewhat surprisingly, I started talking with Chuck, one of the few male members and the only one, I think, who frequents the meetings. I was interested to hear his career was as a paralegal, but he left that (can't remember why, maybe to open a business) and now, ast the age of 57, is finding it hard to get any job at all--a common story, I'm afraid. We talked about what we'd do on Christmas Day and I was surprised anew when he said he'd be serving the poor in Victory Park in Ojai. Oh? Yes, with church members, as he's an evangelistic Christian. Interesting.
My pal, Nancy was there, too, along with about eight others (founder Vera was out of town) and it was good to be with them. We said goodbye and I immediately zipped over to Wal-Mart to get a few things, many of which I couldn't find, but they're weren't absolutely necessary, anyway.
Went home to take my bench in from the patio because it was supposed to rain. Got a card from former neighbor, Judy K. with a snowman on it; she wrote something cute inside: That white thing on the front is called a snowman; we grow them in Jersey." Got a remarkable number of birthday greetings on Facebook, and more via e-mail. Nice of people and I'm so grateful for family and friends.
I was delighted to finally be able to get to Mike and the girls on Skype. They're in a house in Lake Tahoe and are thrilled with the snow (ugh, sez I!). Vivian and Violet are so bright and beautiful and so full of life, I can hardly believe they're mine, once removed. Can't wait to see them next week. Tried a few times to get to Patrick, but he wasn't on line. Hope we can get it together today.
So that was my actual birthday and it was fun, but I'm just as glad it's over.
Looked at my mail just now and had a note from El, asking if I wanted to go to B., B., & B. with her today, then have her move my things around. Sure thing, as I'm in the market for a few items myself.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...