Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Usual Rounds

I slept late, almost until 8:00, but I have been lately. I feel good, so I guess I can use the extra rest. Spent a leisurely morning on this blog, breakfast, and crossword puzzles, then tidied up a bit and shifted a few more things around.
Betty called. She's now home in Ventnor after a horrendous experience with Spirit Airlines coming back from Florida. She'll leave for the west coast on Thursday, spent a few days with son, Stephen, in Pasadena, then they'll drive up to Ventura for our joint birthday party on Sunday. We agreed we wouldn't exchange present; I would really prefer not to have my children give me anything, but I don't think they'd comply.
Wrapped up some little pre-Christmas presents for the Tokyo Tot and took it to the P.O. It was an absolute madhouse there, of course. The older I get, the more tedious and the less reason for jolliment this season seems to be. (Okay, okay, I'll drop the Mrs. Scrooge persona now.)
From the P.O., went to the library to take back the Mary Tyler Moore Show disc and get some Stephen King stories. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until I looked when I was in the car that they're from 2002 and really, the first one, anyway, isn't up to him usual. Well, maybe I'll try the others and keep it or not.
Drove into Ralston Courtyards on the way home. This is one of the complexes I may--or may not--relocate after September. I like the look and I know renters have their own washers and dryers, but I'm not sure the location is to my liking. We'll see.
When to the office when I got home to ask about the refund--I'll get a check, shortly, Chastity said, but I'm still not quite clear why I'm getting it--something to do with the security deposit, I think. I also asked why my friend, Michelle, is paying a hundred less than I am for the smallest apartment. I expected to be told because mine is equipped (sort of, in a very minimal way) for amenities for the aged or disabled. This includes wider door openings (wheelchair accessible) and two grab bars on the tub. As far as I can see, that's all, but in truth, I'm very glad to have the grab bars.
However, I was mistaken about the reason for the higher rent. Chastity told me it depended on when Michelle moved in and what the demand was at the time. So it seems the rent fluctuates depending on how many apartments are available. I was surprised to hear this, but I guess it make sense.
The other thing to which I wanted to call their attention was the fact that, in the apartment across from mine, I have reason to believe the tenants--if there are any and if they're still breathing--don't seem to have gone in or out for several weeks. There's a certain configuration at the door that puzzled me, as it hasn't moved an inch. I mentioned it to the staff and they'll ask the maintenance guys if they may have seen anybody going in or out.
Got my mail and was pleased to see a package from Japan. E-mailed son P. to ask if I should open it now or wait. He wrote back to wait until my birthday, so I will.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...