Friday, December 18, 2015

Mundane This 'n' That

Got up to enjoy my coffee black--not too bad and I zipped over to Quest shortly for my 9:00 appointment. There were twelve people in there already, but aha, I was taken shortly after nine and was out in ten minutes. Got back home for breakfast and house-keeping, then took off for Santa Paula.
Why SP? I don't know, I just felt like driving and I had to get gas, anyway. Just as I've had to reconcile myself to the laundry thing, I've reached the point of accepting I have to pump my own gas (not that I have a choice). Actually, it's not so bad, though I doubt if I'd say that if I lived in one of the snow states.
I like to drive back from SP partly on Ralston Street, which I can catch a half mile or so after Ellen's street and take right to the entrance to my complex, thereby skipping more major roads that are more heavily trafficked This time, though, I was surprised to see Ralston barricaded off and a police officer waving cars down the street. I circled around here and there and finally--after a detour of about twenty minutes--I got to Telephone. Here, there was a huge line of cars and up ahead, at Victoria Road, a slew of police cars, ambulances, and other service vehicles. They surrounded a horrendous accident that looked to involve several cars; I actually saw two people lying in the street being administered to by EMT personnel. Boy, if anything will make you pay attention when you drive, that will. I fervently hope nobody was killed--will look for it in the paper today.
I had a coupon for a car wash for $6.99--outside only, but that was okay. My car was covered with dust and with muddy spots from the rain on Sunday when I was trying to get back from SP. Found the place, got my little blue darlin' spruced up and she looks great.
I was delighted when I got home to find my coat rack in a box at the door. It has to be assembled, but I don't think it needs tools for that. I'll take a look, but may ask Ellen or Craig to do it. Betty called to announce she reached Pasadena and is domiciled with son Steve, Robyn, and Dexter. I'll see her Sunday at our birthday party, of course.
I called my new acquaintance, Gabrielle D., who's a rehab counselor with the state, and we had a nice chat. She said she's not looking forward to Christmas because she has a large family--six granddaughters, one of whom, who's 26, lives with her. Also, a daughter has six children and there's a lot of upheaval due to work schedules (not sure exactly what that meant). Gabrielle is one of those people whose normal expression is kind of woebegone, maybe with good reason. However, I like her--tentatively--and want to know her better and we agreed we'd get together after the new year.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...