Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Various Doings

Hey, things are cookin'!  Weather was iffy during our walk, but turned lovely later.  After breakfast, I turned my attention to the right-side desk drawers in the study.
The work involved was formidable, which is probably why I put it off so long.  Three deep drawers were stuffed with all kinds of paper, plus office aids (paper clips, scissors, rulers, zip drives, and so on), plus check books, address books, and postage items.  It took me a shorter time to clear them out than it probably should have because I ended up just tossing out stuff without examining it. Probably the best way, actually.  Today, I'll tackle the other side, which should be simpler.
Bill G., from down the street, newly back from North Carolina, came over to change the furnace filter. I was sorry to hear I had missed the memorial service for Bob E., further down the street, who died in Florida last month.  He was five days short of 91.
Later, I sped to Manahawkin and got almost everything on my list, including a London Fog raincoat with a zip-out lining. After, I finally sat down to fill in a new address book I've had for at least two years. What a chore, but the old one was a mess, what with all the additions, cross-outs, and entries under the wrong letter.
Thinking I should add some physical labor to the day, I went out to trim the huge, "grass plant," or whatever it's called on the side of the house.  This is about eight feet high and looked good when it was green. However, it's gotten very woody, also leans over, so I want to get rid of as much as I can.  I have only a single-stalk clipper and cut some down, but it really isn't effective for such a big plant.  I'll see if I can borrow some hedge shears from Susan.
When I cleared out the drawers, I came across a packet of postcards my brother, Jim, had written home from Europe in 1950.  One, with stamps from the Vatican, is to Betty and me, another to Frank and Larry, and the rest to Mom. There's also one postmarked 1944 from my Aunt Betty.  She was an army nurse at the time.  I'll send them to Jim, whose daughter will probably like to see them.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...