Sunday, April 26, 2015

Dinner

A fine day.  Still cold, of course, but that just has to be overlooked. Took the pork loin out of the freezer, trimmed and rinsed the Brussels sprouts, and put together a salad.  Cored, pared, and cut my apples into chunks, added a bit of cinnamon and a squeeze of fresh lemon, and put them to simmering.
I packed everything up and left about 2:30, arriving an hour later. My friend and her guy were tidying up the grounds, but she soon quit and the two of us sat on the porch with coffee.
This rental home has some peculiarities--to say the least--but the location couldn't be better.  It's designated an historic district and the house is right on Main Street. What's more, the modest porch is only one step above street level, so cars passing and people walking by are close enough for a wave and a smile.
The next door neighbor, a young woman named Melody, came out and friend and hubby went over to chat with her.  Seeing she wore a Rider University sweatshirt piqued my curiosity, I joined them and found she was a fellow alum.  We four had a nice chat.
A bit after five, we ate dinner.  The roast (rubbed with garlic and peppercorns) was delicious and my friend added sweet potatoes to the sides of sprouts and applesauce.
We completely forgot the salad--didn't really need it--so I took it home, along with some of the applesauce.  Left about 6:30, as I like to get home before dark and my friend was going to her dance group in Princeton.
Had a call from Betty when I got home and we firmed up our plans for today: lunch, then the Community Presbyterian Church in Brigantine to see my chum, Grey, in Neil Simon's Rumors.
          

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...