Saturday, February 28, 2015

Lunch and Cousin Sally

Pleasant day.  After our walk and breakfast, I plunged right in again sorting, saving, tossing, packing right up until time to change for our lunch date.
Walked down the Barb's and we drove over to pick up her sister, Pat, in Mystic Shores. Pat is moving in just two weeks to Seattle and has been embroiled in the same battle I have: how to go through every possession you own without collapsing from either physical or emotional stress. She has it somewhat easier than I do, though.  For one thing, she's moved across country several times before; for another, she doesn't own, but rents; for a third, she has only three children, not four.  Even so, she could relate and we commiserated with each other about the difficulties involved in such an endeavor.
Pat is moving to Seattle to live near her daughter, who is 39 and expecting her first baby in May.  Pat will care for him (his name is Noah) when her daughter goes back to work.  How lucky she is!
We had Cuisine On The Green's signature sesame chicken, good as ever, but the service was perfunctory, inept, and slow. We enjoyed good talk and laughs, though.
Got home a bit after 2:00 and, almost immediately, the phone rang. It was my cousin, Sally B., with whom I haven't been in touch for years.  We talked for  more than an hour. Sally is just two weeks older than my brother, Frank (they're 80),  lives in San Diego, and will soon have a knee replaced.  She was a marathon runner until two years ago when she finally hung up her running shoes.  Her husband had a stroke awhile ago and is somewhat infirm; older son has a fatal illness; but Sally's one of those buoyant types, for all that.
As soon as I hung up, I jumped in the car and drove up to Staples for printer ink, then to K-Mart for--well, for--that is, I got--okay, I bought cheese puffs and gum drops, so shoot me!
Before dinner, I packed up the car with my sampler, four ethnic dolls, my antique platter, and a folder of pictures of the other items too big to carry.  This was in preparation for my visit (with my friend) to Red Barn Antiques in New Egypt to see if they want to buy any of it.  I doubt it, but nothing ventured, etc.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...