Sunday, March 01, 2015

Wipers and Dominoes

Lazy Maisie that I am, I told Susan I would skip our walk, as I was leaving early to go up to my friend's.  In truth, I could have done both; just hankered for sleeping later and, indeed, didn't get up until 6:15.
Put my sampler, antique platter, and a few other things in my trunk and took a folder of pictures of those items too heavy to lift.  Got to my friends about 10:00 and she followed me to Dominic Roselli's, the guy who was to look at my wipers.  Left my car there and went to Red Barn Antiques, a wonderful place in New Egypt.
We were greeted by a (very) elderly lady in a wool cap and flannel shirt, who seemed a bit befuddled.  She asked a man behind her to take care of us and he groused that he was too busy, we don't open until 11, what time is it, oh, 11:15, but take them up to see Judy, I don't have time...
We saw Judy, wife of the owner and she came out to my car to see a few things.  Said she wasn't interested in my ethnic dolls, but thought her husband might like the sampler.  However, he was at an auction and I'd have to call to find out when he'd be in.
Judy was very friendly and talkative and confided that she had been born and brought up in Roswell, New Mexico; she knew the town where my friend and her husband might settle and said it was a lovely place. I left my pictures for her husband to see and we took off.
Got lunch meat and stuff at the supermarket, then stopped at the First Baptist Church of Allentown.  Why?  Because they were having a soup sale--homemade, of course--and we picked up some delicious black bean vegetarian.  Great idea for fund-raising.
As we were preparing lunch, brother Frank called and we had a good talk.  After, we walked the few blocks to the lovely little library, which used to be a church.  Looked around, read a bit, then walked back.
Dominic called to let us know he's have to order a part and cost for all would be $268, not too bad, considering Chuck, the car creep, would pay half.  However, he suggested I may want to see if somebody down here would do it for the same price and he'd confirm it to Chuck.  Good idea and that's what I'll do.
Showered, dressed, and strolled to the D.'s next door for dominoes. The R.'s were not able to come, but the H.'s did, and the five of us had much fun.  I dislike most board and other non-physical games--come to think of it, I dislike games in general, I guess, as I find them boring, but dominoes is fun. It's mostly luck, but just a bit of "skill" here and there.  Of course, the company and congeniality is a draw.
Didn't get home until after 11:00 and went right to bed.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
What kind of dominoes do you play? I only know Mexican Train which I learned here. I feel pretty much the same as you regarding games, in general. I'm still learning MahJongg which is more challenge than fun for me, but I'm determined to get better.

Mimi said...

Pat, I'm not sure about the Mexican part, but yes, with these dominoes, we use tiny trains. If you don't have and can't put up the appropriate tile after you draw, you have to put up your train, and others can build on yours until you can do it. We play this at the D.'s only every few months; otherwise I don't play games. I guess the "challenge" part doesn't mean much to me; I have plenty enough challenge in getting ready for my move. And, let's be honest: My enjoyment last night may have had more to do with the Killian Red (Irish beer) than the actual game (heh, heh).

iloveac said...

Sounds like the same game.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...