Monday, March 02, 2015

Purim and Independent Living

One of those annoying days.  I had intended to go down to the Purim show at Beth El in Margate, as some of my friends from Players & Playwrights were in it.  However, I got not one, but two advisory e-mails from the Ocean County Sheriff's Office containing the usual bug-eyed hysteria.  There would be HAZARDOUS conditions with SNOW AND ICE, creating danger to life and limb, and everybody should hide under their beds.  And yes, most was in caps, indicating extreme urgency.
First, I ignored it, as I usually do, but it started to snow--lightly--about 10 and like an absolute jerk, I began to take the silliness seriously.  About noon, I went to Acme, which was, of course, jammed.  It continued to drift down and I reluctantly decided I'd better skip the Purim thing, as the roads might be slippery.
Damned if it didn't stop snowing by 12:45 and I don't believe there was any slipperiness at all.  I could kick myself for being so easily led for such a flimsy reason. Instead of supporting my friends and enjoying a festive occasion, I spent the day packing up some frames and knick knacks--and sulking because I had missed the Purim celebration.  What a jerk I was.  I've now unsubscribed from the advisory list.  If actual threatening weather is actually about to occur, I know somebody will let me know.  Otherwise, if I plan on going any distance, I'll look it up on-line.  I won't be manipulated like this again.
The day wasn't a total loss: I did contact a rep in  an outfit that acts as agent between clients and independent living facilities. Soon, as I asked to be, I was called by reps from two of the places themselves.  I'm not absolutely convinced I want to go that way--thanks partly to my friend, Pat, I know some of the drawbacks, but also some of the draws.  I'm well within the appropriate age bracket, but I'm also healthy, engaged in various activities, non-religious, and politically progressive.  I may not find any kindred spirits there, but I can always look outside for them.
What appeals to me is the idea of major expenses being covered, as well meals and house-keeping.  Then, there's the difficulty in trying to find a "regular" apartment which is livable, plus what I can afford--a major consideration.  Could I adjust to living at "The Bonaventure," for instance?  Quite possibly and I may give it a try.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
In addition to determining the financial involvement in a CCRC...continuing care retirement community I recommend:
visit the place at different times.
Take in one of the activities.
Try a meal.
Find out if there is an entrance fee and if so...is part of it refundable.
Of course make sure the place is financially solvent with good reserves.
After you feel comfortable with the above, I believe the most important thing is to figure out a way to get a feel for the people who live there. What's the predomiate culture e.g well heeled widows....widows who married their college sweethearts and still maintain the values of the '40s. Are there many residents with walkers?
It's a big decision.
My SiL lived in a very nice one in Kansas City...no entrance fee with a monthly fee about the same as mine.
My former neighbor in VB moved to one with a small entrance feel.
You're still fairly young and I'm not sure you'll like all the octo/nonagenarians.
On the good side...
It's good to feel secure. No maintenance or cooking. Health care readily available and actually some very nice people as neighbors.

Mimi said...

Thank, Pat! Your comments, in particular, are valuable to me. If you don't mind, I'll try to call you later; would like to talk over a few other concerns about that life style.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...