Thursday, March 05, 2015

Kathy, China, and Independent Living

Kathy D., with whom I've appeared in several LETCO productions, had asked if she could come over and discuss a play she's writing. She came at 10:00 yesterday and, over tea, we talked about her project for more than two hours.
Actually, she didn't bring the script.  She said she had written very little of it--was bogged down and I got the impression there was almost nothing on paper.  She told me the story, though, and as I had suspected it would be, it was autobiographical.
I can't reveal what it's about, and I doubt if I can even adequately tiptoe around the theme, so let's just say I was startled.  We talked for two hours about what she recounted, and whether a play about it it should be partly fictionalized.  She also seemed to want it to encompass a kind of morality tale.  I can't imagine how that would work or, for that matter, if it should be a play at all, or simply an essay of some kind.  In fact, I doubt very much if she'll ever write it, anyway--if she was going to, she would have done it already.
Kathy is in her forties, but somehow seems younger.  She's very attractive in an unusual way and has a kind of other-worldly air about her--to me, anyway.  I like her a lot and greatly enjoy our intimate talk.
After she left, I packed still more, including two large boxes of my mother's china.  Just had to get out of the house after that, so drove toward Manahawkin, then just turned around after a few miles and went home refreshed.
Called blogger buddy, Pat R.,  and we discussed independent living, which I've been exploring.  I've visited Pat in the attractive, nicely laid out facility where she lives.  Very expensive (who coined the phrase "golden ghetto?") and with all kinds of amenities, the setup includes care if residents should become less than independent.  Pat's circumstances are different from mine and it seems a good fit for her.
But frankly, not for me. After discussion and after e-mails back and forth with my children, I've come to that conclusion.  I'm sure I couldn't afford it, anyway, but even if I could, I doubt if it would be my choice.  It's convenient and "safe," of course, but seems less than stimulating.  And living in such close proximity to people who may not be as active and involved as I am doesn't thrill me, either.   Anyway, talking to Pat helped consolidate my thinking about the subject, and I appreciated it.
My final acting class is next Tuesday and I spent time yesterday writing out a letter for each of  my students with advice on pursuing acting.  I'll have Aline and Sheila do The Truth, etc., then have an open discussion to wind it up.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Another major factor we didn't discuss when we talked about independent living i.e. ........mobility.
Where I am is great for folks who have (for whatever reason) given up driving. Activities and transportation are provided.
I didn't come here for the activities and thank God I drive. One needs a life separate from here unless that's not possible. But when the time comes....this will be fine.
Right now, I am independent in every way as are you.
You are wise to pursue the factors involved before committing to anything. I'm sure you'll find something perfect for you.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...