Monday, March 16, 2015

Virginia

Well, it's just going to be a rough approximation of the last few days.  Best part about our Byrne weekend, of course, was all five surviving sibs together.
A few highlights:  On Friday, Walter dropped me at the train in Absecon (Betty had boarded in A.C.).  At 30th Street Station in Philly, a Red Cap asked if he could "take care of" our carry-ons; we said yes, and left them on his cart.  Got to Union Station in D.C. and asked for the baggage car. What baggage car?
Long, long story cut to bone:  The practice is for Red Cap to just watch luggage while people went to get a meal on something; their luggage was then picked up by travellers. But who knew?  Not us, that's a cinch.  After four hours and with various Amtrak employees involved, we finally discovered they were left in Philly.  They were put on the next train and we were finally able to start on the next legs of our momentous journey.
That was on the Metro.  We had been told to take the Red Line to Chinatown (actually Grovers Corner or something--don't even ask!), then the Silver Line for twelve stops, then walk to Wendy's to be picked up by a shuttle from the hotel.
Finally got to the Hilton Garden Inn--adequate, I guess, but it ain't the St. Regis.  Coffeemaker didn't seem to work, crappy buffet breakfast is $12.95 (hell, no, I didn't get it), and literally every employee is English-challenged.
But so what?  We were with our brothers and all was well.  Larry (drove from Florida) and Frank (flew from California) and we went to Olive Garden for dinner, then I took a shower and turned in.
Saturday:  Over to Jim's in Vienna, Virginia.  Had a good, chatty time with him and wife, Therese, plus daughter, Chrissy.  Made date to meet for dinner at Anita's, a Mexican restaurant nearby, did so, and had a great time.  Said goodbye to my much-loved big brother, who is 89 and sadly, seemed for the first time to be truly old to me. Rest of us stopped at Starbucks for coffee, then chatted in the boys' room, then bed.
Sunday:  Larry volunteered to take us to Union Station and I suggested we go early and have breakfast there.  Agreed by all and that's what we did.  Larry said the Postal Museum was across the street and asked who wanted to go.  Frank: "no"; Betty: "no," but Mimi, "yes, would love to!" so Larry and I toured what we thought was a very interesting place.  It was free, too.  Others stayed to chat in the station.
Soon had to part and we hugged our beautiful big brothers goodbye, then waited for the train.  No drama this time, as we had seats together, then got the NJ Transit to Absecon (me) and A.C. (Betty).  Frank D. picked me up and boy, much as I loved the trip, I almost kissed the hardwood when I walked into my foyer.
It's so, so good to be home.  

No comments:

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...