Thursday, March 12, 2015

Letters, Beef Brisket, and the Pentagon

Wrote to Harry Woosley, then printed out some pictures I want to send him along with his sixty-year-old letters.  Printer jammed and I tried to fix it, but couldn't, so called Frank-Next-Door and he did. I took the opportunity to ask if he'd pick me up at Absecon Train Station on Sunday--yes, he will.
Went to Shop-Rite and bought a corned beef brisket for the first time in  my life. I had never cooked one before, I guess because I'm only half Irish; the Kraut in me must prefer wurst.  I followed directions and roasted it for two hours on a rack in a covered pan. Had several slices for dinner and gawd, it was delicious!  So was the Cole slaw (Bobby Flay's recipe) I had made to go with it.
Talked to Betty twice.  Tried to call Helen C. to tell her I wish her well after her fall.  However, Betty said she was at the movies with Suzanne W.  Good, she must have recovered.
Another casualty among Betty's friends: Margo M., who slipped on the ice and broke her hip.  Betty called Margo's mother and had a chat with her; mum casually mentioned she had just celebrated her hundredth birthday!
More on the letter front:  I found several from Jim McG., whom Betty used to date and was gaga for.  He's gone now, and I believe most of his family, too. In the absence of somebody with a close connection, I'll destroy the letters.  Betty wants to read them, but I'm not going to allow it.  I haven't myself, although I was Pat's wife and I know he would have no objection.  I might still, but I see no reason to share his personal correspondence with anybody else.
WIDER: The following is by and about about Frieda Berrigan, daughter of one of the scarce true followers of the Prince of Peace:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/03/no_author/death-war-terror/
It includes this mind-boggling fact about the Pentagon:
 Today, 23,000 civilian and military personnel (as well as 3,000 “non-defense support personnel”) work in that building.  Think of that cast of 26,000 this way: the total is larger than the active militaries of, among other places, Burundi, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Ghana, Hungary, Kenya, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Zambia.  

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...