Thursday, March 19, 2015

Taxes and Christmas

Bustling busily, I wrapped and packed a lot of priceless artifacts--junk--to donate and took it to Lighthouse Alliance.  While there, I bought a pair of gloves and a purse for a total cost of six bucks.
Hauled out my income tax stuff and separated receipts, recorded expenses, and so on, preparing to take it all the St. Mary's today.
For years, because my husband had a business, we had a rather complicated return.  We were permitted to take operating expenses for the house off, for instance.  I always went to Bill Dampier, a C.P.A. in Princeton; not only was he quick and thorough, but he charged us a pittance and what's more, was a neat guy.  It was a treat to see him annually, believe it or not.
After we retired, moved here, and Pat died, I just went to H & R Block.  Considering the simplicity of my return, I always thought they charged too much--close to three C-notes, in fact, and for what?  Something a mentally-challenged chimp could do.  (Wait, what does that say about  me?)
Last year, I was delighted to find AARP volunteers, who do retirees' returns free at St. Mary's in Manahawkin.  I'll take my stuff there today and combine the trip with other errands in the big city.
Talked to Betty and we made a dinner date for Saturday after the P & P meeting.  Heard from Mike that he isn't coming in April--darn--but might in June and will be in Tahoe for Christmas.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...