Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Acting Class and Other

Picked Aline up at 8:45 and got to the Margate Library just before they opened at 9:30; guess I overdid the early thing a bit.
The others got there at ten and, as I had scheduled, Anita and Sondra performed I Have Something to Tell You.  Anita is a dear, sweet woman and Sondra is a pain in the rear, but wouldn't you know it, A. can't act her way out of a paper bag and S. isn't half bad.  I gave them critiques of their performances privately, but of course, with plenty of praise and encouragement.
I consider Something the weakest of the five plays I wrote for my class to perform, but the group liked it and discussed it very seriously.  Because Doris G. is in Florida, I re-scheduled her and Aline (who will do the comedic The Truth, the Embellished Truth, and Nothing Like the Truth) for next month at our last meeting. During the rest of the time yesterday, I introduced some theatre terms, with special attention to "beats," which means changes in mood, emotion, or other aspects of dialogue.  It isn't always easy to find beats, especially if they're subtle.  I had brought short monologues (from published plays) and assigned each person a different one to read to the group, then to try to identify the beats.
We finished up and I got Aline to work before 12:30, then drove to the Tuckerton Beach Grille, where I was to meet my fellow Sparkler members...
...except it's closed on Tuesdays. Obviously, Josephine didn't know that when she told me about it, as I was to meet the rest there. Went home, thinking there might be a message; there wasn't. Called Jo and left her a message, got my own lunch at home, then went to Acme for a few things.
When I got home, Jo called, very apologetic. She was so sorry she didn't have my cell phone number, but I mentioned she could have (actually, should have) left a message at home.  However, no big deal, just a mistake and I told her not to worry about it.
I vaguely remember making a mistake once myself, back in 1977. Or was it 2003?  Or maybe twenty years ago.  Well, I think I did, but maybe not.
My friend called to say she and husband are going up north over the weekend, but will come back Sunday afternoon.  With Mike coming in on Friday, we'll have to change plans.  Maybe we'll just switch days and go to Ventnor or Saturday, then see them on Sunday.
Today would have been Pat's 84th birthday.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...