Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Errands, Snow, and Burning Bright

As it turned out, Susan and I did walk our usual at 7:00, I'm happy to say.  The snow (maybe 3 inches) was crunchy and, with reasonable caution, we had no problem.  Our 9:30 exercise was postponed, though, to Saturday, which means I won't be be able to go, as I have a Players & Playwrights meeting.
I had lots of errands to run and tested conditions by driving to the bank.  Found it was okay; not only was it not icy, but there were fewer cars on the road than usual, a considerable plus.  Did my financial business, then high-tailed it to Manahawkin to get Jason a present at Target.  Made a few other stops, went home for lunch, then wrapped the present and took that and the big box Mike left to the post office.
Later, went to Acme for lettuce--I was yearning for salad--and a few other things.  Drove by the library and was surprised to see it closed--because of the snow, presumably.
I reflected that when I was a kid, later as a young mother, and still later as a Rider employee, snowfalls like this were expected in February and were a minor annoyance.  It was sloppy and messy and maybe it took people longer to get to work or school, but certainly, routine weather wasn't the focus of alarmed attention it is now.  It's disturbing to realize the fear this promotion of exaggerated "danger" generates.  Of course, if it's treacherous to walk or drive, nobody in his or her right mind would venture out, and those with infirmities need to be vigilant.  However, what we've experienced recently has simply been normal winter weather. Perception is everything, as someone said eons ago, and boy, I believe it.  
Got home about 4:00 and spent the rest of the afternoon working on my play, Burning Bright, which I wrote as a short story in about 1985.  Started on the third and last act, and it's shaping up pretty well.    

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...