Sunday, July 31, 2011

Got a welcome Skype call from the Tokyo Twosome. Hot there and electricity is rationed.
Sister Betty called and invited me down to sit on her porch. Had no other plans, so accepted. Made a big salad and a chicken sandwich, put them and a few beers* in the cooler and zipped on down.
Well, no, hardly "zipped." Traffic on the Parkway just past Jimmie Leeds Road had slowed to a crawl, as the saying goes. Took me twenty minutes to go a mile, so got off at Absecon and made my way down via Route 9. That's what happens in the summer on the way to a resort. I realized later that the food and wine festival was going on that weekend, too.
Spent the afternoon chatting on Betty's porch. Mookie came over and last, so did Betty's obnoxious neighbor. Karen, who's about 40, is involved--or whatever it is--with Bob, who's at least in his late sixties--and is the type who never shuts up. I left soon after she came, but had a pleasant--if slow--afternoon.
Stopped at Shop-Rite, the cemetery, and Santori's on the way home. As soon as I got in, I jumped in the shower; it felt so good after sweltering on the porch. I'm not adverse to doing that once in a while, but being so idle every day--or even every week--would drive me batty.
* Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy. (Benjamin Franklin)

1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."

One of my favorite quotes ... and so true!

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...