Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Caught up with Susan for our regular walk--she thought I'd be home a day later--then went to exercise. After breakfast, I completed my favorite puzzle, the cryptogram in the AC Press, then did some proofing for The Breeze. My piece, "Pets Of The Past, Part II," the only one I contributed for August, looks okay. Started thinking about the Dionne Quintuplet article I'm planning, but decided I'll save it for the September issue, as I'm doing a profile on Pat L. for August.
Washed clothes, tidied up a bit, then drove over to Produce Junction to replenish my veggie supply. Got lettuce, mushrooms, butternut squash, and peppers. I noticed some attractive, rather large, and very inexpensive "Mexican Heather" (dunno why their country of origin would be mentioned) plants while I was there.
Drove to the cemetery, about six miles away, watered and pulled a few weeds, all the while thinking of the Mexican heather plants. Yes! I drove all the way back to Produce Junction, bought three, then went back to the cemetery. I had intended to simply place them in their pots, but--. Dug the holes, added water and Miracle-Gro (I keep gardening stuff in my trunk), and planted two at Pat's grave and one larger one at Jay's. By the time I was finished, I was dripping and muddy, but they look great.
Home about 2:00, I made a big salad and covered it with a damp paper towel to have for dinner, For late lunch, I had broccoli and butternut squash, and plenty of it. Jumped in the shower--did that feel good!--and dressed. By that time, it was about 4:30 and I drove to Manahawkin for feta cheese and a few other things. It was after 6:00 by the time I ate. Added the feta and two hard-boiled eggs to my big salad, and enjoyed every bite.
Got a very welcome phone call from Desi. No, I didn't get the part in Moon Over Buffalo, but neither did Ellen V. Desi explained that he had cast a newcomer, a young woman who's very much overweight (he emphasized that) because he has a certain concept of the nutty grandmother and she fit his idea. I understood that, and also understood that his call was an oblique apology after his annoying behavior at the audition. Okay, I'm over my anger (and, let it be said, hurt) at what I saw as his cavalier attitude. I agreed to continue as publicity chair and we had a cordial exchange.
All in all, a good, active, enjoyable day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the part, Mom. But look at it this way, you can tell everyone the truth--that you were too skinny for the part!
Love,
E

Mimi said...

Ho, ho, I WISH that was the reason! I'm afraid I can no longer be called "skinny," but am back on the weight loss bandwagon now. Thanks for the comment, El.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...