Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Arrived in NYC by bus about 1:30 and was immediately scammed at Port Authority. A youngish man came up to me as I was about to go out the door and asked if I wanted a cab. "Yes," I said, and he took my suitcase to wheel it out. I thought he had quite a lot of initiative to get to people before they hit the street. I did think it a little odd that he said, "It's seven dollars; have it out." but figured there must be a set fee on Sundays. Followed him to a cab at the curb, into which he put my suitcase and was just handing him the $7 when the real cab driver spoke up: "No, you give the money to me." Other guy then grabbed my dough and left hurriedly. Ouch! Guess I was had.
Hotel--Hampton Inn--just around the corner from the Empire State Building, which I walked around to see after I was settled. Son Mike, in from London, called and I went over to the Trump Plaza to meet him about 3:00. His suite was so-o-o luxurious (sitting room, bedroom with floor to ceiling windows, bathroom I'd like to live in, and powder room). Of course, all other possible amenities were provided and what's more, you can buy the suite if you're so inclined and have several million to spare.
We walked the city, stopping in a number of stores for overpriced sunglasses for Mike, had a slice of pizza for lunch, and later, Mike treated me to a Delicious dinner of dressed "trenette." It's linguine--I asked--so why they don't call it that is beyond me. Had to say goodbye soon after, as Mike had a lot of meetings scheduled for the next day. Went back to the hotel, then explored a bit in the surrounding area.
Niece Joan came about 10:00 on Monday and we had a ball exploring the city. She was a great guide and among many other places, took me to Herald's Square, Battery Park, the waterfront, and on the train to Brooklyn, so I could see all the summer activity on the river. We went to the financial district for lunch (P.J. Clarke's) and I had my favorite summer meal: a rare hamburger and a Blue Moon beer. It was so festive with the crowds, both tourists and workers. We saw the site of the WTC and the building going on there.
We topped off the day with wine and wings at the Marriott, then Joan took me right to my bus at Port Authority--hers was just a few sections away. It wasn't crowded at all and I even had two seats to myself. Parkway on the way home clear, too. Got in and jumped immediately in the shower. Talked to Ellen on Skype, then fell into bed. What a great weekend!

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...