Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pretty slow all day. Instead of calling her, I stopped at the Seaport to tell Brooke (development director) that our theatre company wasn't going to take on the murder mystery thing. Had to tell her the Northfield group won't, either.
Went to the cemetery late in the day and watered the azaleas again. They look pretty good; must like heat. Still haven't used the weed and grass killer on the sidewalk gaps. It's so hot even I didn't want to go out much, except to our walk, exercise, and in the car.
Got a call from the person Dodie had mentioned, her producer, Ken G., but he called on the cell and I missed it. I called him back at the same number immediately and there was no answer; don't know why. Guess we'll get to each other today.
WIDER: Oh, here's something interesting. In case anyone is wondering about--say, academic integrity or if there's any hope for merit to rise above political ideology, or what institutions will be corrupted next, take a look at this:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/billionaires-role-in-hiring-decisions-at-florida-state-university-raises/1168680
I worked at Rider University for 27 years, and retired as manager of employment. I also got my bachelor's degree there. Guess I should be shocked and horrified at this revelation from Florida State, but somehow, I'm not. Just numb, I guess.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Me too---numb. Perhaps all I can do is avoid purchasing Brawny paper towels and Stainmaster carpet---as if that could have the slightest impact.
David Koch works or worked closely with The Tea Party.

I feel certain our HR dept was careful not to hire people who might have different values than those espoused by our Health Care System. Not the same ballpark as Academia, but money buys many things--- if enough is dangled.

Mimi said...

You're so right, Pat, but I don't worry so much about those who are corrupted by money. I worry about those who betray basic human values because they honestly believe it's "the right thing."

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...