Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Went to exercise for the first time since the gall bladder thing. It felt good and I want to resume the three-day-a-week regime.
Miserable day weather-wise. It instantly brought to mind the phrase "leaden sky"--dark gray and threatening.
Ran a few errands in Manahawkin, assembled some things for my trip, and otherwise occupied myself. Dear friend Marge called to ask if I could take her and Fred to his doctor's appointment tomorrow. Fred had major heart surgery on December 15 and is picked up by a van for rehab, but they don't have anybody to take them to appointments. I had had a lunch date with Ellen V., but I knew be glad to postpone under these circumstances, and she was. We switched to Thursday.
Sister Betty called. She and I and three other high school friends will meet for lunch and movie on Friday.
Talked to Mary S., that terrific person and trustee, and we vented to each other about two women listed as members of The Breeze "editorial staff," who really aren't pulling their weights. Mary, Susan, one or two others, and I contribute almost all the material to the paper. One of these woman has decided she just can't write anything every month and will make it every other. The other writes in the stream of consciousness garbage on the most vapid and trite subjects, plus what's supposed to be a little column on of news on residents. This has deteriorated into sophomoric meanderings about the snow and so on. Boy, that makes me mad.
Anyway, Mary sent out an e-mail asking if somebody would cover the major's visit to the community today and, sucker me, I volunteered. Virginia H. will take his picture so I won't have to worry about that, and I'll just write up a quick paragraph on what went on. Aside from that, I told Mary I'd send one or two "Letter From The Orient" when I'm in Asia.
Went to the library and ran in to Lucille B. and her constant companion, three-year-old Jenna. (Lucille played one of my daughters in Riders To The Sea last year.) I was sorry to hear she's getting divorced, but I know she'll get through it and come out the other side.
Auditions again tonight--hope I do better this time.
Wider: Martin Luther King's address on peace. Just substitute "Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, and so on, for "Vietnam" and...
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkatimetobreaksilence2.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh these people who just ramble on bug me like they don't have any point as to what they are writing about as if anyone would be interested anyway which reminds me of the other day when I was at the bank and the person in front of me said " 'scuse me" instead of "excuse me" which is the proper and polite way to say it as my mother taught me. Well, my mother was always a particularly good grammar type and spoke english really good and taught us kids good too. Which is good since it has been so cold lately with the weather as cold as a well-digger's well you-know-what but my mother always told me not to use such phrases in polite company ( that's you my dear readers!)

Mimi said...

Oh, thank you, Anon, for the elegant phraseology of your comment. It's impressive and makes mw wonder who, indeed, could be your sainted mum--a long-suffering gem, that's for sure.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...