Thursday, January 13, 2011

A somewhat frustrating day. I was unable to send a scanned picture to The Breeze; not sure why, but Frank came over and did it for me. Good, as far as it goes, but that means I still don't know how to do it myself and I have another to go. Too long and involved to explain why--the short version is I'm just an electronic ignoramus.
Did this and that, then drove to Manahawkin to pick up a few items at Shop-Rite. That wasn't strictly necessary, I just wanted to get out.
Attended a kind of property tax seminar last night. We citizens of Sunrise Bay are banding together and hiring an attorney to represent us and try to get assessments east. I can never understand why Jersey has the highest property tax in the country. Yes, it's my home place, yes, I like it here, yes, I lead a pleasant life, but hey--is it better in any measurable way than, for instance, Colorado, Connecticut, or California, just to cover the C's? Not so's you'd notice, which leads me to the conclusion we've just enjoyed more corrupt politicians earlier and longer than other states--in that arena, we're second to no one.
Just talked to Mike on the web cam and am in close touch with P. Both my boys are arranging my upcoming Asia trip so smoothly and willingly, as if it's simple and no trouble at all. How did I get so lucky in my children?
WIDER THAN EVER: Here is a Zen parable that is absolutely sublime:
A man traveling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled; the tiger ran after him. Coming to a precipice, he caught hold of the root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge.
The tiger sniffed at him from above. Trembling, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.
Two mice, one white and one black, little by little started to gnaw away the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other.
How sweet it tasted!

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...