Thursday, January 27, 2011

Obviously, I was finally able to transfer Preshy's picture; got it on Facebook, too. Hope I can remember how to do it the next time.
Completed more stuff for The Breeze to submit for the March issue before I leave. Called Nancy S., who will help me with publicity for Our Town and we had a nice chat. In between, used the big crock pot to cook up a batch of lentil soup/stew (I like it thick, so it's kind of a cross between the two). Already had all the ingredients--lentils, celery, onions, and carrots. Added a number of spices pretty much at random: oregano, cilantro, bay leaves, and a few others. Let it simmer away for several hours, tasted, and boy, it's good. Froze some and will have some for lunch or dinner.
Well, the weather: I was afraid to walk at 7:00 yesterday because a mix of snow and sleet fell and I knew the ground would be slippery. Susan came to the door, but I had to decline. To make up for it, I drove (I usually walk) to the clubhouse for the three-mile exercise. It's gruelling, but as ever, I was glad I had done it.
Hairdresser called to say Leann couldn't get in, as she lives in Toms River and they had four inches already. Rescheduled for Tuesday.
Was nervous about going across the street to the dinner party, but managed okay. Aside from me, Susan and Walter had only Ray and Barb H. and Anne Mary--unusual for them to have such a small group. During appetizers, though, the other invited couple called to say they had forgotten about it. Why not come now? Oh, they were exhausted; they had gone to her cousin's funeral up north that morning. If I had been the hostess, I would have been furious, but Susan accepted the excuse without rancor. (Aargh! How do these ancient phrases insinuate themselves into my writing? I'm a sucker for them!) Anyway, I didn't miss those two, whom I've mentioned before.
Susan had tied a balloon with "We'll Miss You" onto my chair and gave me a card and a puzzle book as a going-away present. Besides cheeses and hummus and stuff beforehand, she served ham, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and baked apples; pie and brownies for dessert. Naturally, they had plenty of wine, beer, and after-dinner drinks, too.
Stayed until after 9:00 and made my way across the street on slick ground, as sleet and icy rain--well, I guess that is sleet--had fallen. It was scary, but I got home okay.
Got up to find everything's snow-covered. Will be very cautious about whether to walk today or not. Later: Well, I didn't walk and neither did Susan. Snow blocking way to street, for one thing and snow on sidewalks for another.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I can well understand your caution about walking on slippery ground. With your trip just a week away, I'm sure you are extra careful. I'll miss your blog, and hope you'll post from time to time from the Orient.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...