Friday, July 02, 2010

Delightful afternoon at Georgian Count in Lakewood, where we enjoyed high tea and three actors impersonating Judy Garland, Mrs. Edith Gould, and a butler. The setting was the magnificent mansion built by the Goulds in 1902 and purchased by the Sisters of Mercy and the Catholic Church in 1924. I've been at one of their presentations before on Cole Porter, but this surpassed that one, in my estimation.
The girl playing Judy was just superb, with an incredible singing voice, and a perfect "Judy Garland" speaking voice, too. "Mrs. Gould" and the butler were also great. All three actors sang a lot of standards, including several songs identified with Judy and several from The Wizard of Oz. After, while we had tea, finger sandwiches, and pastries, the actors went from table to table, still in character, to chat with "guests." This event is so well done and so enjoyable, it's a pleasure to be there.
Barbara H. drove and two others went in the car with us. This was a Red Hats event, but they had extra places to fill, so non-members were invited. I've been asked to join several different "chapters" of Red Hats in my community, and so has Barbara, but I find the whole idea repugnant--and idiotic--in the extreme, and I was smugly pleased to hear that Barbara does, too. Setting yourself apart because you're a woman of a certain age (as the old novelists used to write) and dressing up in commercially-inspired costumes (the idea is to wear purple and red) seems to me to legitimize the belief that older women are "cute" and never to be taken seriously. It's a bore and I don't want to be part of it.
I had planned to go to auditions again, but called director Ellen V. and she assured me being there twice wouldn't influence her decision. I hope that's the case; now am a little sorry I didn't go and ask to read again.
Oh, well. I was told recently that I don't handle disappointment well, so maybe if I don't get a part, I can regard it as a test and learn from it...
Ha! I don't believe that for a minute!

4 comments:

iloveac said...

I think simply being at Georgian Court would be a delight for me. I wanted to go there for college.

I'd gone there with the HSHS debate team and fell in love with it. Unfortunately there was no money for me to attend college there. So nursing school was the next choice.

I feel the same about 'Red Hats' as you. My SiL loves it as do so many others I know...not for me or you tho.

Sorry about the auditions....you'll get the next one for sure. Now, you're free to travel.

Mimi said...

What--Pat, do you know something I don't know? No casting decisions have been made yet; I'm afraid I was unclear about that-sorry. I'm waiting to hear about it, probably within a week.

iloveac said...

Great ....that means my magic crystal ball is working....yes...yes...it says Rosemary is to be in the cast...do not challenge my crystal ball, or it will not be happy, and may change the future.

Mimi said...

Yay--love that crystal ball!

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...