Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'm happy to write that Betty's out of the hospital. The diagnoses was food poisoning. She had eaten out on Monday night--seafood--and took some home to eat for dinner on Tuesday. It seems odd to me it didn't smell or taste "off," but I guess if it did, she wouldn't have eaten it.
On my way down to pick her up, she called and asked me to get some clothes for her, either stopping at her house or buying new. I didn't want to go all the way to Ventnor first and there are no clothing stores in Little Egg, so I picked her up a pair of white shorts and a yellow top at the thrift store. They fit fine, they look good, and she likes them; what's more, they cost a total of four dollars. We got to her place about 1:00, had lunch on the porch, then I left, relieved that she's over this crises.
However--there was a black cloud over the day. Incredibly, my friend Peg (Hartman) N. has died. Betty and I were both stunned to discover this--I found out through Facebook, as Peg's daughter had posted something on Peg's page. I thought at first it was a tribute to her late mother by Peg herself, but read further and realized the truth. At Betty's we talked to George W., who graduated from St. James with us, and has the funeral. Obit will be in The Press on Sunday and the funeral--not at church, but at the funeral parlour--will be on Tuesday.
As noted in my entry of last Friday, I had talked to Peg just a week ago and although she told me she was ailing, I didn't realize the seriousness of it. George said she was in the hospital for two days; she died on Thursday, I assume of heart disease. I called Elva (Gruhler) B., who was as shocked and sorry as we were.
What a blow. Peg was a good, strong woman and an interesting companion; I had looked forward to our continuing friendship after "finding" her again more than fifty years after we were schoolmates. Life is full of such shocks and sorrows, but I've never been able to get used to them.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I'm pleased to know Betty is back home and feeling better.

So sorry you had to learn of your friend's death, and in the way you discovered it. You are so right about not getting used to hearing these things.....even those that are expected. It hurts.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...