Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Yesterday morning, it occurred to me we hadn't had "Old George" over for dinner recently, so I suggested Pat call him. He did, and George enthusiastically accepted the invitation. Because I had cut-up chicken in the freezer left from the whole bird I cooked last week, I decided to make chicken potpie. It's so simple and everybody seems to like it--except Pat, who prefers the bought kind, but will eat it. (This is what I've lived with for 49 years, folks.)
Was pleased to get a call from Betty, who's doing well. She said she was seeing the oncologist yesterday, who will go over the PET scan, which she already knows is clean.
The slight rain that had been falling early cleared up in the afternoon, and the weather was glorious: warm and sunshiny on the brilliantly-colored trees. The change of seasons always gives me a lift. Ran a few errands in the morning and cleaned up a little.
Made the potpie (with Bisquick on top), and completed the meal with salad, baked potatoes, broccoli, and several kinds of bread--simple and easy, but filling. I remembered George likes Goldfish crackers, so went out and bought a small bag.
George got here at 4:45 (I had suggested 5:30, as we eat at 6:00, but for some reason, he's chronically early). That was okay; I was in the kitchen finishing up and he sat talking to Pat. He's a big talker and the poor guy is lonely after the death of his wife last year. He's very open about his sadness and how much he misses her.
And boy, can he eat! George told us he "doesn't cook" at home, so eats a lot of canned soup and other quickies. When he gets even the uninspired home-cooked meal I served last night, he takes full advantage of it.
I had some of the lemonade pie Susan had given me in the freezer, so gave them that for dessert--topped it off fine.
George stayed until almost 8:00. I wrapped what was left of the potpie for him to take home, along with the rest of the Goldfish crackers.
He's so appreciative and such a wonderful guest, I know we'll have him over again.
Today, I go to Sister Jean's Kitchen in A.C. along with Leslie, Barbara D., and the Presbyterian ladies (who've thunk it?)

1 comment:

iloveac said...

I've made that Bisquick pot pie and thought it was pretty good. Like Pat tho' I like the store bought better..... especially Marie Callendar's trillion gms of fat...many of which are the artery clogging saturated kind. No wonder it tastes so good. I only had it one time and even I couldn't justify consuming that many fat grams.
I'm sure George LOVES to get invites to your home. He gets to talk 'guy talk' with Pat and feast on your meal of the day.
Hope today at Sr Jeanne's is rewarding ...we know it's appreciated by many.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...