Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Walked with umbrellas again yesterday--but walked. Afterward, I made pie crust (I have the best, most manageable recipe, which includes vinegar and egg), rolled part into a pie pan, and froze it. Will fill with pumpkin and bake tomorrow; I'm still considering pecan.
Met at 2:00 with the rep from Ocean County Library for the "Conversational English" course. There were 3 other women there, 2 from LBI, and Jackie, who's one of the directors at the Tuckerton Seaport. I was pleasantly surprised to find she'll be my partner when we meet for the weekly sessions. This makes sense in case of the illness or travel of one leader.
Jackie and I will meet at the Tuckerton Library ("my" Little Egg Harbor branch already has enough volunteers). We won't start until February, partly because the library is getting new carpet and partly because our "clients" (or "students," or whomever), haven't been made aware of the service yet. I'm not sure what day or time we'll meet--could be Saturday mornings or early evening on weeknights--Jackie and I will decide that and either is okay for me.
I was impressed with the presentation of the volunteer director, Marilyn B., who gave a very clear and concise explanation of the program, along with well-done printed materials. This service is intended for anyone whose first language is not English--no questions asked about their immigration standing, which suits me fine. I assume most of the participants will be Latino, considering there seems to be a fairly large Spanish-speaking population around here, but there may well be others. Looking forward to February,when we'll begin.
Today, I'll make the apple cranberry sauce, chop the celery and onions, get some of the cleaning done, take the tablecloth to be ironed, iron the napkins, and pick up the rest of the ingredients for various dishes. Jen will bring a veggie dish and Alison the string bean cassorle and an apple pie.
I sent e-mails to the family about our Christmas gift exchange and was happy to hear back they all want to participate. Will have Joely draw the names for the ones absent on Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...