Friday, November 23, 2007

It was a neat Thanksgiving! Got all the prep work done and had time to dress--even put makeup on--adding my belt, of course (I have only one).
Talked to Betty in the AM; she was going to Carolyn's in-laws for Turkey Day. Brother Jim called to wish us a good one; they were going to daughter and SIL's Chrissy and Paul.
Joel, Jen, Joely, and Tristan got here first, at 2:00. They had called about noon to ask what veggie they should bring (unlike yours truly, they aren't obsessive about planning ahead) and we settled on corn.
It was such fun to have them here. Big and little Joel and I went out to the driveway to play hackie-sack, then Jen and I chatted while we did a few last-minute chores, and Tristan performed his specialty of gurgling and smiling.
Alison and Mike arrived about 2:45, with string bean casserole, apple pie, and Mike's brother, David. We were a little concerned about cousin John, thinking he hadn't gotten the change to an earlier time, but he got here about 3:45, and all were aboard.
J. and J. told us that Joely had gotten an excellent report from his teacher, who said he was "at the top of the class" in his reading preparation and math skills. At school, he had made an Indian (oops--native American) costume out of paper and modeled it for us--it's really cute and he's a darling kid. He and Alison played chess, then checkers. Wish I had had a grandmother like that--in fact, wish I had had any grandmother.
Mike carved the bird and Big Joel watched him from start to finish, saying he was in training for turkey-cutting. The eleven-pounder was enough, even allowing for generous take-homes by the Alison and Joel contingents, and leftovers for us.
What a feast! I ate everything and plenty of it. If I say it myself, the dinner was superb; of course, the company was what made it so, but the food was tasty, too. I was pleased to have "discovered" cooking the sweet potatoes in the crockpot, which frees up a burner and the microwave.
Ellen called to say "Happy T.Day" and talked in turn to me, Pat, Alison, Joel, then me again; we kept her on the phone about an hour. Can't wait to see her at Christmas.
I had hidden the birthday cake in my closet and Alison was surprised when I carried it into the dining room with candles blazing. Joel and Jen gave her a beautiful gift basket with tea, candles, and jam, and we gave her some green stuff she can use for decorating the addition.
Mike called as we were cleaning up and talked also to Pat and Alison. They had gone to the Mandarin Oriental for dinner--and I can attest it's elegant, as I've been there. He said they allowed adorable Vivian to choose her own "seconds" and she picked sushi (well, you know, she's one-fourth Japanese) and some other non-traditional items.
We picked names for Christmas gifts and agreed on a limit of $30. I kept a record and will e-mail everybody the results.
Alison had brought Santa hats for the kiddies and after dinner, Mike took their pictures for Christmas cards. Joel, at 5, is a little ham and Tristan (they've been calling him "T") obligingly left the hat on his head, even when it fell over one eye; the pics should be great. Of course, I took several myself and am anxious to get them on the computer. Pat donned a hat, too, and we got some funny shots with him and the kids.
Alison cleaned up about 80 %, but I told her that was enough, as I knew she had to work today (her actual birthday). I still have some stuff to clean up this morning, but the bulk is done.
A. had filled the dishwasher to absolute capacity before she left and, after I turned it on, I put on my nightclothes, poured myself a glass of white merlot, and sat down to watch a re-run episode of LP, BW.
Did I have anything else with my wine? Oh, yeah--I consumed handfuls of peanuts, a slice of chocolate cake, and another piece of pie.
Pumpkin. With whipped cream. So shoot me.
This is the first time I've veered from healthful eating and I'll be right back on the eat-rite bandwagon today. Will attend WW tomorrow and if I've gained, so be it. It was a fine day and worth a few pounds, if that has to happen.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

What a wonderful day....I feel like I was there. Happy Birthday to Alison......her day is the same as my brother Jim's son Peter.
BTW....please explain hackie sac....never heard of that one.

Mimi said...

Sent you an e-mail explaining "Hacky Sac" (probably the way it's spelled).

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...