Saturday, November 03, 2007

Mostly stuck around home yesterday, but had plenty to do. After the cleaners came, I changed our bedclothes and did other chores. Added more to the pile of outgrown clothes Mary Ann may be able to use.
While we were having lunch, Pat got a very welcome phone call from Tommy D. Tom is the son of Tom, Sr., Pat's old friend, with whom he used to work at Convery's before starting his own business. The older Tom died about 30 years ago, and Pat became friendly with Tom, Jr. They hadn't been in touch since we moved here and Pat was so pleased to speak to him. They hope to get together, if possible, one of these days.
Pat said he'd like to go with me tomorrow to Joely's soccer game. That would be wonderful, so I'll talk to Alison about the best way to bring this about.
With Pat at the bay, I went to the library. Signed up to become a volunteer leader of "English conversation groups" for the foreign born. I filled out an application and talked to the librarian about it.
Rented "The Phantom of the Opera," but saw only half before I got bored. (Just wanted to hear "The Music of the Night," which I love.)
The high point of the day was another very welcome phone call--from my cousin, Marifran, in Cincinnati. We had a long, enjoyable, and stimulating talk, filling each other in on our activities. Marifran is a counselor and spiritual leader to both couples and individuals, and is especially skilled in helping save marriages in danger of divorce. Her book, Up From Chaos, is a harrowing account of her life with a mentally ill mother. Marifran had sent me an early copy and believe me, it's incredibly absorbing, not only concerning the horrors of her early life, but--even more important--her triumph over a childhood out of Dickens. I remember her mother well (she was married to my father's brother), and I can appreciate Marifran's triumph in becoming the warm, open, intelligent woman she is. Her web site address is:
http://www.soulfulsolutions.com/. Information on her services and her book can be found there, too.
Later note: Cant't believe I messed up an Internet address again! Forgot the "l" in "soulfulsolutions"! Okay, have fixed it--readers, please see Marifran's web site.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

The library volunteer program sounds interesting. You'll have to let us know how it works. I might check to see if we have one.
Rich and I both particpated in the 'Learn to Read' program for adults when we lived in Pensacola. It was enjoyable. Many of the readers were high school graduates,but could not read beyond a third grade level. Your conversation program sounds more attractive to me.

Sure hope Pat can see Joely's game. What a thrill to have your great granddad watch you. We know Pat was a super football player at HSHS...now he can see his talents live on. Of course, great grandma will cheer with pride as well. YES!

Mimi said...

Pat, it's so nice to have somebody like you who REMEMBERS Pat on the football team. Thanks for your comment!

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...