Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Monday, August 13: Lunch with Pat R., Muckie, and Betty was the best fun I've had in ages! Pat arrived about 12:30 and what a gal! She's so full of life and energy--not to mention funny stories--that she kept us all laughing.
Pat is much more attractive in person than in her pictures. She has a strong--but feminine--face, thick hair she wears in a warm red shade, and a very pleasant, animated manner. For two years, decades ago, she worked for Muckie's ex-husband, who was an internist, so she and Muckie go way back. She and Betty go even further back , as they were both members of the Catholic Alumni Club (where Betty met her late husband, Wes). We were all amazed to find that Pat and I go back even longer than that: I pulled out my 1954 yearbook and there was a "wish you well" note from Pat McH., class of '57! As I don't remember ever seeing Pat before, this came as a fascinating surprise to all of us. (I took a picture of Pat with her entry but, unfortunately, it's too light to make out.)
Pat brought me a darling, hand-painted wine glass with "wine goddess" and a picture of a jazzy lady painted on it. She also brought Muckie, Betty, and me gifts of porcelain boxes with little round earrings inside. Muckie and Betty showed off their grandchildren's picture--well,l guess I did, too, but mine were framed in the study.
My Pat stayed home long enough to meet Pat R. and say hello to Muckie, then took off for the bay. I put lunch on the table--just a typical summer meal of cold cuts, several kinds of bread, a big green salad, fruit salad, devilled eggs, and crystal pickles--and we sat and talked, ate, and laughed for hours. It was just a terrific day, but of course, had to break up eventually.
Pat left late in the afternoon and I walked her outside. Before she drove off, she pulled out her baton and demonstrated her prowess--fifty years on!--with twirling. You go, girl!
Muckie went home soon after and Betty and I agreed it was a terrific day. She and I had leftovers for dinner (always a pleasant part of entertaining) and I got takeout for Pat. Today, we'll drive over to Sweetwater to have lunch with Betty M., a friend of Betty's, and tomorrow, I'll take Betty to Muckie's for her to stay with her for a time.
The only down note for my date yesterday was the realization that Pat R. and I don't live closer to each other. Hey, someday, I'll show up at her door in Virginia Beach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mom,

Glad to hear you had such a great time yesterday. Thank you for sending me those pictures of you all at Alison's. I love that picture of Tristan and his mom. Talk to you later.

Love,
Ellen

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...