Saturday, August 25, 2007

Friday, August 24: Terrific day! Left at 11:00 and got to The Red Lobster in plenty of time--early, in fact--to meet Terri at 1:00. She looks wonderful and, of course, we had scads to talk about. (I had grilled salmon with a double order of veggies instead of potatoes, and a small Caesar salad.) We finally said goodbye at about 2:30.
I drove to Ewing to see the old house and neighborhood, then to Rider. Went to HR, and all my former colleagues came out to greet me. I met the woman who was hired into my old job six weeks ago. Later, I was told she had been at Bristol-Myers Squibb for 29 years. (My immediate successor stayed at Rider only three years.) Before the party, I had time to stop in a few other offices. It's always gratifying to be greeted with obvious pleasure, and hugs and kisses, but oh no, I never want to go back to work.
The party was great. Earle had been at Rider for 35 years and lots and lots of people I knew were there, both past and present employees. It was great fun to greet and be greeted and--I'm happy about this--be told how good I look. I nibbled on some little appetizers (rusks and tapas, which I dearly love) and had a few swallows of soda. No alcohol was served at the party, a departure from the usual, surely because of the recent tragedy of an alcohol-related student death at Rider. I considered a piece of the celebratory cake, but skipped it with little regret.
It was wonderful to be among so many old friends, but I have to admit, many had aged a lot--especially those I hadn't seen for ten or more years. The moving finger writes/And having writ, moves on...
After, I picked Karen up and we drove home. Stopped at Alison's, but as I thought, she was already leading their Friday evening hike through the pine barrens. Mike was home nursing his hurt foot and we said hello to him, bought some Kirby cucumbers at Dawn's, and zipped down good ol' Route 539 to home.
Great day, great life.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...