Thursday, August 30, 2007

Picked Marge up for lunch yesterday and passed our house on our way out--to see two heavy machinery trucks out front. The tree removal people had come, although they were supposed to call first. Frank had already discussed the cost with Pat and me--we'll share the expense for removing a dead tree that straddled our properties--and, after some of my usual histrionics, I left them to their work. I was pissed (I was going to write sedately that I was "taken aback," but hey, I was pissed) to be told our portion ended up at $350 because they found two other dead trees on our side. I'm not even sure if that includes the half we shared with the D.'s, but oh, the hell with it.
Enjoyed lunch at Creevey's, where I hadn't been for months. As ever, Marge and I had lots to talk about. After, I dropped her off, then checked at home to find the dead trees gone and a bill in the mailbox. I was pleased that there isn't any noticeable change out back, as there are plenty more trees.
Went to K-Mart and got Pat more of the sweatpants he wears everyday, then to Kohl's for some gifts for soon-to-be DIL. Got home and was delighted to find that Dennis, that sweet guy, had gone fishing and left us some gorgeous flounder fillets. Was going to take something out of the freezer for dinner, but of course, breaded them and we had them instead. I like many kinds of fish, but there's just nothing like flounder that had been splish-splashing around in the Atlantic a few hours before. Boy, oh boy, was that a good dinner! Den gave us enough for about three meals, so I breaded and froze the rest--not quite as good as unfrozen, but we'll enjoy them in the coming weeks.
Alison called to say her step-DIL had invited us to Long Beach Island on Saturday for dinner (her parents rent a house there) and I was pleased to accept. Will meet A. and Mike in Manahawkin and drive onto LBI--which will be hoppin' on Labor Day weekend--with them.
WW this morning--we'll see, but as ever, will be fine with any loss, gain, or stay-the-same.
Later: 0.8 down for a total of 31.8 and weight of 167.8. Not quite a pound off this week, but no matter--I'm satisfied.

2 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

Your really doing good on your diet Rosemary, kkep it up!!
What did you finally get your furture DIL? I haven't had flounder since I left Atlantic City. We had a neighbor who did deep sea fishing and he would always give my Mom a good amount of fish on his return. The only thing I leaned to like was scallops. How do you prepare your flounder? Do you fry it or bake it?

Mimi said...

I got Natsue-San these gifts: bath gel, moisurizer cream, and perfumed "splash" in "raspberry rose"; two sets of cloth placemats with matching napkins, one in green stripes with an appliqued rose, the other bordered in red, also with an appliqued flower; a gift set of dishcloths and towels, tied with a grosgrain ribbon; oven mitts and kitchen towels in contrasting colors; and a frame in which I'll put the picture of her and Patrick which I printed out from the computer. Also got a photo book and will fill it with pictures of Patrick in his early years. (I'll duplicate these at the color copier.) I'm reconciled to the fact that the postage on these will be astronomical--probably will equal or exceed what the items cost, but I want to welcome her warmly to the family.
I bread the flounder fillets, then bake them in the oven. Tastes like fried, but is a lot healthier.

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...