Monday, August 06, 2007

Sunday, August 5: Got to Santori's and really stocked up on veggies and fruit, bought a few plants at Lowe's, and went to Acme for more provisions. Pat asked me to get a new battery for his watch, and what a drag, as the back has to be removed to replace it. I went to 3 different places (Radio Shack, where the guy told me they weren't allowed to open watches; K-Mart, which has a jewellery area and sells watches, but of course, the clerk had no idea how to do it; and--finally--a little jewelery store in Manahawkin where I should have gone in the first place). Battery replaced and problem solved.
The preceding sounds like a mere nothing, but took almost all day. Watered the outside after dinner, having interspersed the new plants (still in their pots and I've performed this trick before) among the old, and it looks fair, but far from as attractive as it's been other years.
Brother Larry called. His Helen needs a little fix-up on the eye that had the--successfully removed--growth under it, so they'll travel to Jacksonville soon. They were going to see a new community near them which surrounds "Santa Maria College," a very conservative school established by the founder of Domino's Pizza. I believe it will promote the same ultra-Catholic beliefs. Hey, to each his own.
After dinner, was happy to hear from Ellen and we discussed her art project, as well as an upcoming "retreat" for the faculty at her school in the Napa Valley. The district will pay for it, as it's a professional conference, designed to enhance skills and exchange information. When I was at Rider, I attended several such conferences for higher education/human resource people, including a weekend at Annapolis, and an over-nighter in Philly. There, you could talk with colleagues from other colleges and universities, attend workshops, and--the hope and theory was--come back to work refreshed and recharged with new ideas. You also got to party.
Looking forward to having Pat's brother, SIL, two nieces, and great-nephew here for lunch today.

7 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I remember reading about the town founded by (Domino pizza) Tom Monaghan. It's Ave Maria,Fl with Ave Maria College at its core. It's near Naples.
He's run into some criticisms, but I guess it's a go. Might be an interesting place to see. To live....I don't think so.

A week from today I will be at your house. What time are you thinking of? Is Muckie going to make it?

Mimi said...

Yes, indeed, Muckie's coming. I guess we'll have lunch about 1:00, so you could plan to come about 12:30--but, PLEASE-----------------------if you get here earlier, don't worry about it. You can get here at 7 am, and we'll just put you to work. Also, remember if you want to bring somebody (or somebodies) with you, feel free. Try to let me know a little ahead, but if not, we'll just set more places at the table.
Just talked to Betty and can't wait to see her on Wednesday and you on Monday--yay!

iloveac said...

I'll be by myself. My LBI cuz will be dropping her daughter at the Phila Airport. The one in Vineland will have done enough with me by Monday.
This is going to be great fun. I'll aim for noon ish...depends when I wake up.....lol. I will call you when I am enroute or nearby or something like that.

iloveac said...

You said to bring whomever and I forgot to tell you, I will be stopping at the homeless shelter to pick some hungry folks who haven't had a bath in 10 days. You know how I am about social justice. Perhaps you have some deoderant they can use.
Also can you put them up for a few days?

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary it's funny that you bring up this subject of replacing watch batteries. Sunday at Wal-Mart I had to buy a new watch. I have no complaints, my old watch was over 20 years old. It has only been a month since I replaced the battery, then I realized that the watch itself was going. Wal-mart has always replaced the battery for me and before that I got the battery from radio shack and they also replaced it for me.

Mimi said...

Pat, the people from the shelter are welcome; they can sleep in the guest room with Betty.
Dee, it seems to me I've gotten batteries for my watches at those places, too, but somehow, they couldn't handle Pat's. Not sure is they were stringing me along, or not.

iloveac said...

I want to go Santori's when I leave your house. Have to get some Jersey tomatoes for us and my neighbor. You can direct me there.
Unfortunately the shelter is closed for remodeling so no use stopping.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...