Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Yesterday was a mixed bag. We got to Manahawkin in plenty of time for Pat's 1:00 appointment--I thought. Walked in and found it had been at noon. Doctor was booked otherwise and he only does this procedure (excising growths, I guess you'd call it) on Tuesdays from 12 to 2. Called when we got home and rescheduled for the 24th.
We then stopped at Community Surgical where Pat's pulmonolgist's office was supposed to have sent a "script" to make CS his new oxygen supplier. (For those who are respiratorily challenged, his present supplier, Apria, stinks.) CS had no knowledge of it, which means whoever was supposed to do it never followed through. Called them and of course, got the message machine and they haven't yet called back.
Stopped at Wal-Mart to get more of the little carafes for the Irish Creme, as they're the perfect size, look great, and people can use them for oil or something after the booze is gone. (They're called "taverna" bottles.) I wanted five or six of them, but they had only three.
By the time we got home, I was gnashing my teeth. Pat went obliviously down the bay and after I finally had lunch (after 2:00), I started to feel better. Called our long-time accountant, Bill D., got his machine, and asked for a appointment to do the income tax, which has been hanging over my head since I got the extension. Decided to look over the Turbo Tax program Ellen had sent, actually got absorbed in it--and good golly, Miss Molly, proceeded to do it myself! That was a triumph, I felt I was on a roll, and the feds and state can kiss my 1040. Called Bill back to cancel.
In the middle of my CPA project, Jack B. came in and we had a nice chat. Talked to Betty, who's doing great after her visit to the surgeon (I hope and expect she'll elaborate on her blog), and that was so good to hear.
Alison called later to discuss Mother's Day. We'll go up there, I'll bring the dessert, and if there isn't a rainbow over the sorghum field, there'll be one in my heart.
----------
Oops, almost forgot: I had a request for the recipe for Molloy's Irish Creme, so here it is:
1 3/4 cups Irish whiskey (or any other whiskey)
4 eggs
1/4 cup water
2 TBS chocolate syrup
2 tsp. instant coffee
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle brand
sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
(1/2 tsp. almond extract is optional--I don't usually add it.)
Beat eggs well. Add other ingredients and blend until smooth. Sometimes the coffee crystals clump, so you may have to strain them out. Store tightly covered in refrig for up to one month. Stir or shake before serving. Serve very cold, over ice or not.
I buy pretty bottles and decorate them with ribbons, adding a small card tied around the neck of the container. This is great for little Christmas gifts, house-warmings, or just to give friends as I did. Naturally, whoever makes it will call it "Smith's Irish Creme" or whatever.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
The recipe for Molloy's Irish Creme...sounds super.

To be sure you are free of Salmonella with the raw eggs....you might want to use Davidson's eggs which are Salmonella free. They sell them in NJ at Genuardi's.

Others can google Davidson's eggs to find product availabiltiy. I use them now for everything....they cost a bit more, but it does eliminate the chance of getting salmonella.

I don't know of any definitive research that confirms the alcohol will kill the salmonella. So, it's easy to just purchase Davidson's eggs. Not sure they are available on the West Coast yet.

Dee's Blog said...

Thanks for the Molloy's Irish cream, it sounds great, I'll definetly make it. How did you come upon it? Poor Pat, I feel so sorry for him being cut up the way he is. Is there any end to it?

Mimi said...

You probably understand more than most people, Dee--there's no end to it. I don't think I even mentioned the other ailments he has, including an enlarged prostate and kidney involvement. He mostly uses the three urinals we keep in three rooms because he can't get to the WC (heh, heh) in time. I'm the official urine-handler--I empty and rinse 20 or so times a day, and wash out with bleach frequently. However, I'm so used to it, it doesn't even bother me. One good thing is, Pat is not in pain and, after all, he has lived to be 76. We get along all right.
Got the recipe from my mother, who got it (I think) from my sister-in-law about 30 years ago. It's delish!

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...