Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A peculiar thing happened while I was away: On Saturday, our next-door neighbor, Frank, saw three people drive up to our house in an SUV. He said they were Asian--a couple who looked to be in their fifties, and a young woman of 19 or 20. They went to our door, and presumably rang, but Pat and Alison were both out, so they left. Frank said they waved to him before they drove away.
The question is: Who are these people? With one exception, I can't think of any Asians I know who fit that description. I e-mailed Mike asking if the Akashi family might be in the U.S. These are friends of Paula's late mother; we had their two teenaged daughters as visitors for a week about 15 years ago. But Mike and Paula had just seen them in Tokyo a few months ago, and he was sure they would have told him they were coming here, plus they don't know where we live. Mike thinks the trio were Jehovah's Witnesses, but I doubt it. Surely if they were, they would have been going to everybody's house, not targeting ours (slim spiritual pickings here, that's a cinch).
'Tis a puzzlement...
The reason nobody was home is because Pat was at the bay and Alison was out for a run. In fact, she ran to the end of Green Street where Pat was, chatted with him for a while, then ran back. It's exactly four miles there and four back, so eight miles, then she added a few more. I'm amazed when I contemplate how far that really is. Say she ran ten miles that time; she, Mike, and others run more than twice that far in marathons. Alison remarked on the ease of running here because it's so flat. Yep, it's really easy--not!
Didn't do much yesterday aside from a few chores and errands. Signed up to attend a two-session course called "Discovering the Pinelands" with Barb H., Susan, and Kathy D. It will be held in June, and includes a field trip. SIL Mike could surely teach such a course; I'll ask if he knows the instructor.
Pat gets the growth on his arm removed today and tomorrow is the Woman's Club luncheon and fashion show. I'll model the two black and white outfits, then take them back--glad I finally made the decision to do that.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

I guess this is stating the obvious, but maybe they just had the wrong address. Then again if that were the case, they probably would have said something to your neighbor.
Now, I'm curious.

EBJ said...

I think they were just nice people who wanted to say hello.

Mimi said...

Hey, maybe they were casing the joint for later robbery!!! Of course, the fact that they drove up specifically to our front door in broad daylight makes that questionable.
Actually, there was a robbery last week in Sunrise Bay. According to the police, a robber comes at dusk because he knows a lot of seniors go out to dinner. Sounds idiotic to me.

EBJ said...

Keep your doors locked. I want tne place safe when I come to visit.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...