Saturday, May 05, 2007

Great, terrific lunch with David! Just as Betty and I have a commonality of memory (we don't have to explain to each other who was who and what was what in our shared childhood), there's a lesser one with David about our Rider careers.
At Katmandu, we were happy to be seated on the deck. It was extraordinarily pleasant to sit outside in the sun next to the river in the midst of young professionals looking forward to the weekend. New state office buildings are in the same large complex (my son-in-law, Mike, works in one of them), and Katmandu is an easy walk away, so there were a lot of people there. I live in a wonderful over-55 community, and I love being retired, but there are times when I want to feel as if I have a career again, with the office, and the decisions, and most of all, the gossip, which David happily supplied.
How we talked and laughed! I got all the news--who had left (my successor, for one), who wants to leave, but can't, who should leave, but won't, plus what ill-fated projects and ventures are planned and doomed to fail, and so on.
David and I were always on the same wave-length--kindred spirits, as they say--and at one point, he said, "I miss you, Rosemary, I have nobody to bitch to," which made me feel good.
David earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in organ from Westminster Choir College, which was bought by Rider several years ago. He worked at Westminster for several years, then came to our office at Rider. He and his wife had had a nice summer home on Long Beach Island (we held several office retreats there) a hundred yards from the beach and sold it for 1.2 mil last year, so I let him pay for lunch.
After, I went to Penney's at Quakerbridge, sure I'd be thwarted here as I was at Hamilton Mall, but no!--I was able to get two outfits in black and white for the fashion show, and I like them both. Even better, I can wear the one with the dress to Chrissy's wedding.
Great day in every way.
Must go to Weight Watchers now, as I missed on Thursday because of the stress test.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I know what you mean. Without gossip work would be too much like well....work. I miss all of that too.
Glad you found two neat outfits and had such a great day. Congrats on the WW loss. You're on a roll!

EBJ said...

Seems like you must be living right.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...