Thursday, May 24, 2007

The luncheon/fashion show was great fun. The room at Smithville Inn is a terrific place for such a gathering, as it's removed from other dining areas and opens to a beautiful garden. The food was excellent--I had salmon and veggies, skipping dessert.
Barb H. picked me up, along with Pat H. and Lois V. All but Lois modeled, and we sat at the same table, as did Susan and five others. My friend, Marge, had asked if she could sit with us and a place was set for her. However, she didn't show up and, knowing she doesn't always feel great, I called her. She had been all set to come when she started to feel unwell and reluctantly decided she had better not chance it. She e-mailed me this morning to say she has a follow-up with the gastrointestinal guy today.
Both outfits I modelled went over big with the 80 or so members there. With the pants set, I wore sun glasses and sandals, and waved around one of my colorful Margarita glasses, explaining that I was in my party girl mode. When I later switched to the dress (covered with the same overjacket), I adopted a demure, ladylike persona and wore white pumps and the black and white hat I had bought at a yard sale.
After the luncheon, we strolled around the cutesy-poo little shops, examining the high-priced, never-to-be-used-once-you-get-home merchandise. Got in later than I thought I would--about 5:00--but in time to pop potatoes and chicken in the oven.
Brother Frank called to say he's accompanying his daughter, Francine, to D.C. shortly and may (or may not) drive down to our place. Told him that of course, he's always welcome, and he'll play it by ear. Brother Larry had called earlier from Disney World, where he went by himself (he's a lifetime member, I think). He'll hang out, then drive back to Florida, picking up Helen, who went to a graduation in Mississippi, on the way.
Called Muckie, who's coming over tomorrow. We'll go to Dockside for lunch, as it's on the water and has good salads. We commiserated over the death of a mutual acquaintance of ours, Patti F. R., who graduated from HSHS in '55, the year after we did. I hate to hear of these things, but of course, it goes with the territory when you're of a certain age. (Who, me?)

4 comments:

EBJ said...

It sounds like the show was fun. I think maybe you should join the ,"runway set" for fashion week in NY, Paris, La etc.
Have a good time with Muck. I wish I could join you.

iloveac said...

Loved your 'write up' of the event. If you choose not to continue modeling...perhaps you would consider doing periodic feature stories for local rags.

Felt really bad to hear about Patti F.....too, too young.

Tell Muckie I said hey...we say 'hey' in the South. Wish I were with y'all too.

Mimi said...

Would love to have you both here, too! We'll raise a glass to you at lunch tomorrow--well, it'll have to be iced tea because Dockside doesn't serve booze, but that's okay, isn't it?

Dee's Blog said...

The fashion show sounds like it was a success. I love Smithville, every time I go back home I make it a point to go there for dinner. I totally agree with you as far at the things they sell. As my Dad use to call them "dust collector"
You are doing so well on WW, you must be very proud of yourself. Skip the dessert WOW!!!

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...