Monday, May 28, 2007

Pleasant day yesterday. Went to the supermarket for fish (salmon and flounder), washed lights and darks, and borrowed a shovel from Susan to dig out the dead bush. All went well, except that the ground is like concrete, so I couldn't dig it. Hooked up the hose, as I want to soak the flower bed where the bush lives--or rather, died--but for some reason, the water didn't come out. Just shrugged and will tackle the chore again today.
Stopped at Tucker Tom's and got a red onion and four ears of corn. Not sure where it's from--too early for Jerseys--but I had an ear and it was pretty good.
Went to look at hanging plants at several nurseries and bought a huge and beautiful one profuse with white and purple petunias. It looks great on the shepherd's crook near the door.
Ellen called early and I caught it in the garage. When I went in, still talking, I noticed there was a message on the machine. We talked for almost an hour, then I checked the machine to find that little Dexter had been born. Called and talked to Betty, Robyn, and Steve, all very happy and relieved.
The plant is lovely, the fish and corn were delicious, and we go to Ray and Barb's party at 3:00--what could be better?

2 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

I wish I could get flounder or salmon. All we can get here in Mass is Sole, Scallops, Haddock and swordfish. They get their fish from Glouster, Mass. Don't know why they don't have flounder. Haven't had that since I left home.
I love the summer months when you can get fresh veggies. You mentioned before about iceburg lettuce. I'm not crazy about it eether but it is the lesser of two evils. I shouldn't have any green leafy vegetables at all because of the coumadin. They are all rich in vitamin K. I cheat a lot but so far I'm doing ok with my tests.
When I went down to AC and my Dad was alive he use to have me bring cantalope and tomatoes home. He said NJ had the best of both.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I'm one of those who eats iceburg lettuce...habit, I guess. I was never much into salads anyhow, maybe that's why. Actually I think I was always too lazy to make a salad. Only ate lettuce on sandwhiches.
Funny, I'm not lazy when it comes to making Gaspacho which is really a liquid salad of sorts..no lettuce tho'.

I can't wait to be in Jersey in August and get you know what.....Jersey tomatoes....best in the world.

I had pretty petunias in boxes on my deck two years ago...lots of them....but when it rained the petals would fall off and make a mess. BTW, I better go out and water my Instant Garden which is actually a slow poke garden so far.

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...