Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm back and I had a wonderful time. Left at 7:00 on Friday morning and arrived around 11:00. Luckily, I had no problem getting in the room early. Brother Larry was already there, his room on the same floor. We went to lunch, then dressed. Niece and her husband, Joan and Jim, picked us up and we drove into D.C. We found a parking garage across from the Mayflower ($30!) where the reception was, left the car there, and got a cab to the church, about 20 minutes away.
We're not sure why Chrissy chose this church, as it's in a very rundown area, but it's old and interesting. It included a banner across the door that read "Welcome, All Sinners," practically a private invitation to me, I thought.
The wedding was lovely and Chrissy looked beautiful in a traditional gown and veil. She carried deep red roses, as did her maid (matron?) of honor, and her bridesmaid, Paul's daughter. The little daughter of a friend preceded the rest, scattering rose pedals from a basket--very picturesque. Paul's best man was his 14-year-old son and his other daughter read from the altar.
Our cab driver had warned us it might be difficult to get a cab in that neighborhood, and it was, but we finally succeeded in having one pick us up and take us to the Mayflower.
The reception was so nice, with white-gloved waiters circulating with appetizers, including little lamb chops (yum!). (By the time we got there, I would have eaten the white gloves, I was so hungry.) Of course, there was a fully-stocked bar and I had wine, champagne, and an orange blossom, but only sipped at each, so wasn't more than a little buzzed. The dinner was surf and turf with salad and veggies, and the wedding cake was about the best I ever tasted. We then danced the night away, staying until about 11:30. Got back to the hotel after midnight and fell into bed.
On Saturday, Larry and I went into Washington and did lots of museums, monuments, and other touring. I loved seeing and hearing about Ford's Theatre--a tour guide gave a talk--and going across the street to the house where Lincoln was taken to die. A man dressed as Abe himself, who looked eerily like him, was walking around, and unabashed rube that I am, I had my picture taken with him. Greatly enjoyed the museums, especially 17th and 18th century art museum and the Smithsonian.
We must have walked 6 or 7 miles (literally), as Larry had parked the rental car and we spread out from there.
About 4:30, Larry called brother Jim, father of the bride, to see if they wanted to go to dinner. They did, and we drove to Jim and Terese's in Vienna. Happily, their son, Mike, and his partner, Ray, went with us to Anita's, a Mexican restaurant nearby. All five of my dining companions ordered either iced tea or plain water to drink, but I had a mango margarita--ha! The drink and the food were delish and Ray--a terrifically nice guy--insisted on picking up the tab.
We just stayed a few minutes more at Jim's, kissed them all goodbye, and got back to the hotel about 8. I took a shower and fell into bed, which was very comfy, by the way.
Yesterday, we had breakfast (complementary), Larry took me to get gas (they have to pump their own!!), and I left at 9:00 am. Had no problem on the road and got home about 1:00, where all was well, thanks to Darling Daughter Alison, who stayed over the weekend.
Unpacked my stuff, made dinner, talked to other D.D., Ellen, for a good hour and a half, and am now back from a glorious mini-vacation.
Nutritional Note: I was pleased with my general restraint in the food department. Had Cheerios and Raisin Bran cereal for both breakfasts, with FF milk and Splenda, plus orange juice and coffee. Both times we had lunch out, I had salads; I ate nothing between meals. At the wedding dinner, I ate the salad, fish, and veggies, skipping the beef. I did have two chocolate-dipped strawberries and a piece of wedding cake, but I consider that okay for a special occasion. (You just have to accept that "a special occasion" doesn't come along twice a week and that it doesn't include taking clothes to the dry cleaners or going to the supermarket.)

4 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary, that is a dream vacation. I have always wanted to go to Washington. To sit in the Senate and the house would be my dream come true. The wedding sounds beautiful, it's too bad that Betty could ot attend. I'm sure there will be many picture floating around for her to see.
You did very well on your WW died. That is real will power, with all that wonderful food and you still stayed on the diet. You deserve a lot of credit.
Thanks for the info on the Merry Maids, I was directing the comment to Pat but I accept any info on them I can get. I wanted a ballpark figure as to what they charge and thanks to you I got it.
Welcome Home and we missed you

EBJ said...

I AM so sorry I missed the whole nice weekend.
Sounds as if it was really nice.
I'll call you today to get all the details.

Mimi said...

Dee, I don't have Merry Maids, I use a cleaning service run by a local couple.
To all: Forgot to mention that the favor for wedding attendees was
a bottle of hot sauce with "Hot 'n' Spicy" and the couple's names and wedding date on it.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Sooo glad you are back.
Wedding sounds lovely....no doubt the church held some meaning for one of them.
Also glad you recognized God's message to you on the front door. I broke up when I read your thought.

Am impressed with your restraint with such attractive food. Not sure I could do it. Proves you are serious with the WW program.

I'm the one with Molly Maids...Merry Maids is in this area as well.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...