Saturday, December 30, 2006

Pat and I were concerned about Mike and family after hearing of a second big snowstorm in Denver. However, he responded to my e-mail, saying they were caught in a snowdrift and he had to eat his own foot, so they're okay. He said Vivian went skiing and also "snow tubing" (I'm not exactly clear on what that is.)
Got a number of errands done yesterday and had a very good beef stew in the crockpot. There was only a dab left and I--well, I...I threw it away! I have a real problem with throwing things away that could be used later, whether food or not. Often, I have for lunch what's left over from dinner the night before. I was raised, after all, not to discard things if they have any purpose left in them--even a potential one--and I think that's a sound philosphy. As for food, I always remember my mother telling me not to waste it because of "the starving children in Europe." I think the children in Europe no longer suffer from starvation, but I still hate to waste food. My children seem to throw away half of what they buy and don't seem to understand why I wrap up and freeze it, if food, and store it away, if other stuff.
With that said, I want to add that it's wonderfully satisfying and
liberating to get rid of things. I think I'll go through the refrig, freezer, and pantry and see what I can throw away.
Later: just got back from the surprise party for Marge. Her daughter, Sharon, had it in her palatial house out in the woods in Manahawkin. Had a wonderful time and brought home sandwiches and cake for Pat for dinner. Tomorrow, I must get serious about cleaning up the house and preparing for our progressive dinner on Monday.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...