Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Monday--Ears, Eyes, Jim, And Sleep

Talk about busy. In the morning, I dug up the Vanguard documents I had neglected to give Michelle and she stopped over to pick them up at 11:30. Happy day, all is well with the IRS and I'm getting a nice piece of change back rom both the feds and Cali--nuttin' from Joisey, though. After that, I walked the mile and a half to the cleaners to tell them I didn't want the alteration. I apologized and the woman was very nice about it. Hmm...now I wonder if I can get any compensation for the skirt that burned at the other cleaners...

From there, I bused to HEARX to get my new left-ear aid. I saw a new person, who said she was a technician; funnily, her name is Amanda, the same as the audiologist's. Unfortunately, I am not happy with this one at all. It seems impossible to get it in right and it's even making my ear a little sore. I called after hours and told them it was utterly unsatisfactory; guess I'll hear back from them today.  

From there, I went to Miramar Eye to get my new glasses. Incredibly, I can actually see very well with them, both up close and far away. Well, one success, anyway.

That took me near Jim's and, since I had packed my lunch, I took a chance and rang his bell. He was home, invited me in, and I ate my lunch there, although it was 3:00 already. We had quite a pleasant conversation, discussing the books we were reading and so on. Jim asked if I noticed anything different in the living room and it did seem to me a little--well, cleaner and less dusty. He said "a woman" had come over and cleaned; I assumed she was from the Agency on Aging and it pleases me that I had set in motion this and other assistance for him a year or so ago. 

I asked Jim about some of the artifacts around the room and we discussed them. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are worth something, especially the Oriental ones from his great-grandmother. Asked if I could take some pictures and he agreed. When I have a chance, I'll see if I can get some info on whether any have value. They include several carved chairs and a table:


...a cabinet with painted ivory (or something) insets:
...two carved wooden firgures and some scrimshaw: 
...and my favorite, a antique bell in a carved surround: 
(The statue may be contemporary--not sure.)

On my way home, I stopped at Great Clips to see when Maria will be in: not until Thursday and I really want to get my hair cut before that.  Hmm...I'll think about someplace else. Also, thinking about whether Stella and I still have a lunch date on Thursday; will get in touch with her.

Unfortunately, my "sleeping well phase" seems to be over for now. A wakeful pattern has set in, which goes like this: light out about 9:30, wake for the usual between 1:00 and 3:00; toss, turn, and worry for an hour or more, wake with the alarm at 6:30. I don't like getting up that late (yes, I know somebody reading this might be saying  "LATE?!," but she stays up until ungodly hours😁), so I hope I can soon ease back into my usual routine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim’s place is very nicely furnished with items that look like they have value. I, particularly like those little lamps.

/ac pat

Mimi said...

Believe it or not, Anon, the lamp is not an antique. Jim bought six of them himself at a department store in Ventura, fairly recently. I like them, too. BTW, he also has a full-sized Tiffany lamp reproduction.

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...