Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Monday

Sally and I had long, good talks after breakfast. We've both had some concerns and worries about our children--all parents do to some extent--but nothing that time and loving care didn't remedy. She told me about her grandsons, one of whom was born female, but transitioned in gender. He'll graduate from college this year.  

The painting below is on Sally's wall. It shows a little girl and behind her is a child's chair.  I thought it was some kind of nineteenth century scene, but it's actually Sally as a flower girl in a fashion show. She's kept her little chair for--oh, eighty years--and had it reupholstered in the original blue.  

Duane came over after lunch; he had a number of errands to run, but stayed for a half hour or so. I asked him to tell me more about his casita venture in Mexico.  He and two partners are building small airbnb houses there. I can't remember the name of the town, but Duane said it was wine country and somewhat of a mecca for tourists.  Four are already built, two each of one bed, one bath and two beds, two baths. They're furnished, of course, with full kitchens. He said they might be ready for rent in June--maybe. I definitely am interested as a possible vacation spot. The area is only a three-hour drive from Encinitas, where I am now, but of course, much farther from Ventura.

After lunch, I told Sally I needed to take a walk. We had been sitting down almost the whole day and I knew I need to move.  It's sad to realize Sally can't walk very far or fast now.  She had been a marathon runner well into her sixties and completed the Iron Man route several times. This is incredibly grueling, as it includes swimming, biking, and a marathon in quick succession. But Sally has had some heart and other problems and needs to take it easy. She was fine with me walking out and I ambled around the area for about an hour.  

I wanted to take Sal out for dinner as a kind of hostess gift and we went to Casa De Bandini. It was huge, filled with people, and wonderfully authentic Mexican décor. We both ordered burrito platters and yummy Margaritas. The portions, which included sides, were huge and we both took containers home. 

When we got back, we sat and talked and talked and talked, filling in the fifty or so years of what went before. It was close to eleven when we turned in and again, I slept like a stone. 

Today, we'll meet Sally's daughter, Theresa, and another grandson, just turned 21. I was charmed to be told his name is Tristan and he likes to cook--sounds like another Tristan I know, but that one just turned 14.

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...