Saturday, May 28, 2022

Friday

No T.O.P.S today, but at home, I weighed in at 127.6, which is 3.0 less than last week. I doubt if that's  accurate, though--I don't feel three pounds thinner. 

About 10:00, I took the footbridge over Route 162 to go to the Hill Street library branch. I took back the Ethel Rosenberg book, then foolishly looked at the sale books and bought three. Considering I'm working on three others simultaneously, I must have a screw loose. Those are Stephen King's latest, Gwendy's Last Task, which he co-authored, it says, with somebody named Richard Chizmar. (It isn't up to your standard, Steve, so quit with the collaborations). I'm also reading One Thousand White Women, which Ani gave me, with an "historical fiction" premise (I have major questions about that one). Finally, I'm about a quarter into the non-fiction Lost Connections, which challenges the conventional take on mental illness, including the belief that serotonin is the cause of depression and can be treated with drugs. 

Walked from there to Wal-Mart* to pick up the mesh laundry bag I had ordered on-line, stopping at The Market for Brussels sprouts and eggs. Bused home, lunched, then trimmed, washed, and seasoned the sprouts and put them in the smaller slow cooker for a few hours. 

After lunch, I thought I lie down and take a nap. Had just dozed off when LaVonne called to chat. I didn't mind, but I didn't feel like trying to sleep again, so got up.   

Finished the name verse for Larry and it's one of the longest I've done. Not bad, although I made a silly mistake: It spells out "Larry Byrne Have A Happy Ninetieth Birthday," but I forgot the "I" in "birthday." Since it's in rhyming couplets and was already finished, I had to slip in a non-rhyme. It's not bad, though, and I think he'll get a kick out of it. Now I have to format it into a big card. 

I was pleasantly surprised when, after dinner, Suzanne rang my bell and asked if I'd like to come over and have cake. She had been the honoree yesterday at a retirement gathering at St. John's, where she's worked for thirty-six years. She invited Vickie, too, and we had a pleasant time. There's an abyss of belief, though, separating these two nice people and me: the religion one is obvious, but that's not all. I think there's a point at which friends have to concede they can't get any closer or more intimate if certain experiences are not shared. I leave that for readers to mull over. 

Suzanne also brought out a half bottle of wine, specifically for me (Vickie no longer drinks alcohol), then insisted I take the rest home. I'll give Jim some when he's here for lunch today. Didn't get home until almost 9:00, and to bed until almost 10:00. This wild living will do me in someday!

The cake and the three cronies: 


*Took my BP there, which was 101/66; that seems too low, but I guess it's okay because the screen said  "normal."

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...