Sunday, May 22, 2022

Fractured Actors Redux

I was still nervously debating with myself while I was dressing: Did I really want to go to the audition? Would I be able to project? Would I be greeted with pleasure or polite resignation? Did I care enough to suffer my usual stage fright? Finally, I decided on the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" attitude and boarded the Access Van for the trip to Vineyard Church, from which Fractured Actors sprang. As I walked up, though, I found that the church has changed its name to Liminal--don't know why.

I entered and found a young Asian woman studying a page of script. Nobody else was around, but soon, Shannon came swooping in. I hadn't seen her or Jeff since I was in their production of Welcome Home three years ago, as COVID shut it all down. I shouldn't have worried: She gave me a big hug and Jeff followed and did the same. I hope they weren't faking it, but they seem to be thrilled to see me. Shannon gave me a page of a play called Window Dressing to study, then took the young woman into the theatre to audition. I was amazed that, before she left, the young woman told me she had loved me in Welcome Home three years ago.

Shannon asked me to study the part of Aunt Kathleen. From what I gather, the play involves a conflict between a designer and the aunt of a  bride-to-be. I was called in shortly after--first to read the aunt, then the designer part, Shannon cuing. 

Afterward, I mentioned a verse I had written called "Heart's Desire"--could there be room in the show for it? Probably not, but they wanted to hear it. I recited it from the stage (I know it word-for-word, of course) and they honestly seemed to be blown away. (Shannon said, "But you didn't write that"--I assured her I had.)  I also mentioned my play, Acquisitions. The show is already set (they write all the material), but they're interested and asked me to let them read it. I'll email it shortly.

Boy, am I glad I didn't listen to my nervous/I'm not good enough/who do I think I'm kidding? twelve-year-old self earlier in the day. Naturally, I may not get a part--there's probably plenty of completion--but I've got my foot in the door and there's no place else I'd rather be. 

I just looked at the video of Welcome Home my niece took. Originally, I had cringed when I saw my performance, but actually,  it wasn't half bad. Here's a still from that show: 



2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I just know you'll get the part. What fun you'll have to work with real actors as opposed to a cast of 85-year-olds some of whom can't read well, find their place on a page, hear the director, and on and on. Still, I love it.
I'm excited for you and so glad you auditioned. Keep your readers posted.

Mimi said...

Oh, Pat, thank you so much for that vote of confidence! Naturally, I'll put here the result of the audition--keeping my fingers crossed...

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...