Sunday, February 20, 2022

Saturday And Sleep

I know there are lots of things worse than sleeplessness, but boy, that's no picnic. As I mentioned yesterday, I got up at 5:00, having been awake since 3:30. That meant I had had just five hours of sleep. Followed my usual routine after getting up, but was so draggy by 11:00, I called Jim and asked if he could come today for lunch--I just had to take a nap.

Did so, and set my phone for two hours. I figured if I sleep longer than that, I wouldn't be able to at night--it can be a vicious cycle. Conked out as soon as my head hit the pillow and when I got up, I felt so much better--maybe not quite up to par, but close to it. It was only 2:30, so I put on my jacket and bused to the mall. There's a little shop nearby that's open only on Fridays and Saturdays and only from 10:00 to 4:00. This a kind of gently-used place and I bought an attractive container, some cloth napkins, and a salt and pepper shaker. 

Home, I invited Suzanne over to see the pictures I received recently and to hear about the Whizzie Eaton saga. Told her I had called the number for her daughter in Florida and left a message, but haven't heard back. Think I'll try getting in touch with one of the other daughters. Suzanne and I had a nice talk and caught up with each other's doings. She had talked to Vickie and heard that Mary is taking her medicine, but now refusing to shower. Vickie asked if she could go to the facility to help.

I spent time on the Internet and in my brain coming up with the Quotes for the Week. I put in a few of the more insipid ones, but didn't want to go blasphemous, either, so just added some of my own. I might or might not, suggest we play a little game at T.O.P.S.: guess which ones did Rosemary made up and which are bona fide (yawn). 

After dinner, I read emails from my older son in Japan to his siblings and me. Both his wife and eight-year-old son have COVID. Luckily, so far, anyway, it seems to be fairly mild. They've all been vaccinated, but the booster is not available there yet. 

Last evening, Jim sent a voice mail--I don't know why I didn't hear the phone--asking how I'm doing and saying the call he had been waiting for came in, so he'll see me at 12:30.  

Hallelujah--I just got up at 6:30! I haven't slept that late for weeks or even months, and I feel great. 


2 comments:

Pat said...

Rosemary,
I think as we age our sleeping patterns are no longer patterns. I'm grateful I don't have to be anywhere at a certain time and I also make all my appointments for the afternoon. Some nights are good and others not so good so I just try to go with the flow. Sounds like you are doing the same.

Mimi said...

That's true, Pat, and usually, I don't have too much of a problem just staying in bed. Eventually, I fall back to sleep, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...