Thursday, February 24, 2022

Cremation Breakfast

Ha, ha, I'm getting to be a cremation regular--or free meal devotee, maybe. Got to Denny's at the stated time of 8:30; there were ten other people there, all elderly, natch. A woman named Sarah James presented. She isn't part of the mortuary team, but is called "community counselor," meaning, in this case, she's a sales person. Her delivery was pretty strident, but it was interesting to me. It took about an hour, with slides, and she opened with some quizzes (whose funeral was the most expensive in history? That of Diana, Princess of Wales. Tickets to whose funeral were scalped for $10,000? Michael Jackson's), then got down to business. I'm not going to elaborate on that here, but I was caught up enough that I made an appointment for her to come see me at home on Tuesday.

Before I left, I sought out our waitress (I was charmed by the fact that her name was "Rosemary) and gave her a tip. I wish more people would remember to do this, even though tips are factored in to the cost of the program. 

Walked from there to the mall and picked up a bottle of cream sherry at BevMo to give Roz. Looked around a bit, then bused home. As I was walking into the complex, I saw Vickie and we had a long talk. She's elated that Mary has been admitted to a place in Fillmore, which is where she wants her. Unfortunately, Mary is still combative, but the hope and expectation is that with care and medication, this will fade.  

Home and I had just a very light lunch--I was still full from breakfast--then got my cart and prepared to walk to Wal-Mart. However, the wind had picked up again and I jettisoned that plan. Went over to Von's instead, for yogurt and a few other things, then to Hallmark for a card for Roz.

When I got home, I saw that Suzanne's door was open. Javier and Jose, the maintenance guys, were replacing the exhaust over her stove. She invited me in, we caught up with each other, then she came to my place and we continued for twenty or so. After she left, I was about to call Ellen, when she called me. Plans for Roz'es party may or may not have changed, to be held on Saturday, instead of tonight. I fervently hope so, as Ellen has to work on Friday, but nothing was decided as of 5:00, so I still don't know if we go today or not.


No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...