Friday, February 25, 2022

Ninetieth For Roz

Called my niece, Joan, because she was going to call me after a Sunday Zoom visit with my brother, Jim, in Bangkok. However, she said now it would place last night; she'll get in touch after. After that, she expressed some of the passive/aggressive accusations that seem to be her stock in trade. That just floored me, but I'm not going to into any more detail here.

I put in a wash, mostly of outerwear--jackets and sweaters, then tried again to get my passport picture shrunken to the required two by two inches. No dice and now I say the hell with it; I'll just pay CVS fifteen bucks to do it. The damn water pressure is again dwindling. I could have sworn I had noted in this blog the last time it happened, but I haven't found it. I'm definitely going to keep it on this entry. 

Okay, Ellen picked me up about 4:00 and we went to her house in Ojai while she changed, then left for Santa Barbara to celebrate ninety years for her fiancĂ©e's mother, Roz.  Got  to Tap Thai just a few minutes late to find the birthday girl, Greg's mother, Roz; Greg; his brother, Frank; sister-in-law, Pam' and nephew, Andrew, already there. We ordered, ate, and had some good talk and laughs. We were there for maybe an hour and a half, then went to Roz'es for birthday cake. A friend of Roz'es named Vickie joined us there, along with her incredibly frisky little dog, Maggie. Even I got a kick out of Maggie's racing around, jumping up on furniture and laps, and excitably dog-kissing (licking) everybody in sight.

We sang the song, had the cake, then sat around the table chatting. Anthony graduated from UCSB a year ago with a degree in philosophy (!) and now works in the research department of the Mayo Clinic where his dad is a cardiologist. He intends to follow in Frank's footsteps and go to medical school. Nice, nice young man--tall and good-looking, too. His two younger brothers are in college.

We stayed until about 9:00--practically the middle of the night to me--then Greg took me home, as El had to get up early for school. She called, that sweet, sweet girl, while we were on the way to ask Greg to walk me to my door after we pulled in, and he did. Went to bed right away and slept deeply until 6:20.

I had seen Greg's family only once or twice before COVID and not at all since then. I seem to remember some awkwardness--or maybe that was my imagination. Last night, we had a wonderful, relaxed time; and it was so much fun. I hope they come back before too long and I can see them again.

 

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...