Sunday, August 25, 2024

Saturday

Hoo-boy! It's now 6:39 am on Sunday and I'm just typing this entry. Usually, I do it the evening of, then top it off the next morning, but I was out late (late for me, that is) and didn't do it, so here's a truncated version:

Did three washes: my bedclothes, a bleach ones, and myself to prepare for the Fractured Actors show. Ellen picked me up at 1:00, then we drove over to get Jim. Got there about fifteen minutes ahead, which was fine. Walked in to find the room transformed into a high school prom site. Here's the program:

We were greeted by Amy, who was acting as the prom greeter--wish I had gotten a picture of her as she was gorgeously arrayed in a deep purple gown, then sat down to enjoy the show. It was--as ever, it seems to me, in little theatre productions of this type--uneven. The band was great and played hits Ellen recognized from her era, late 70s and 80s. (It's amazing this is considered a long time ago by some.)  Here they are--James on the pink guitar, Shelby on keyboard; I've worked with both of them on Speakeasy productions:
Here are a few shots from some of the playlets:
The above was called "Dinner Party" and had a gay theme, which was refreshing.to see.  Cassie and Lindsay (with whom I've appeared) are in front.
And above is "A Stitch In Time," the one which Jeff had sent me to offer the part of the great-grandmother, which last night, I half-regretted turning down. And when I saw Becky in the part (far left), I knew she was entirely wrong for it. Her acting is leaden, with little nuance and to some extent, she played it with a sort of jokey touch, although it clearly belonged in the sweetly nostalgic genre. 

As F.A. productions always do, the show ended with a full-cast finale followed by a Conga line into the audience:
As ever, I enjoyed so much being greeted with hugs and hosannas by so many of my former fellow actors. 

We went after to Jasmine Thai for dinner--Jim agreed to have El and me split the bill two ways. I'm afraid that restaurant has gone downhill--I ordered spring rolls and they were terribly--must have been made the day before and I sent the back and wasn't charged. El also sent back her iced tea, which she said had no taste. As for Jim, he ordered a curry dish, of which he ate less than half. He did take the rest home and had soup, too. Got home close to 8:00 and had a frozen personal pizza while watched fifty-year-old Johnny Carson programs. I enjoy them more than today's crapola, especially since I don't know most of the guests. 

No comments:

Thursday

On my way to Von's in the morning, I stopped into Great Clips to see if Maria was available. She wasn't, so I decided to try later i...