Monday, May 27, 2024

Sunday

Followed my usual Sunday morning routine: took my weekly bone pill, washed and changed bedclothes; then settled down with the big crossword, which was just fair, in my estimation. 

Made my lunch and walked to Telephone Road, then got the 11 bus to Office Max. Stopped first at Audi's for pretzels and peppers. Got ink at O.M., then bused to the mall. I stopped first at Trader Joe's for onions and saw there my pal, Alphonse. We hugged and chatted and--assuming I audition and get a part--will see each other in a few weeks at rehearsal. 

Went to the mall middle and ate my lunch while I enjoyed people-watching. Stopped at Target for blueberries--natch--and a few other items. bused home and started watching a recent show following Paul Simon all over the place. I always loved his songs, especially "bridge" and "silence." It was disconcerting to see this little old man, now 82 and deaf in one ear, trying to believe time hasn't passed him by:

https://www.amazon.com/Restless-Dreams-Music-Simon-Season/dp/B0CW29T38G

I saw on Facebook that yesterday was Jimmy Downes' birthday. Called him and found him alarmingly deteriorated since I saw him last when we visited Betty almost two years ago. He said that he's quit playing golf and rarely goes out, although he never explained why. He also mentioned that his license is suspended--he couldn't remember the circumstances for that, either--but "just drives to the coffee shop for breakfast every morning"--AAGH!  But same old, same old: he mentioned several times how rich his daughters are, a clear indication, it seems to me, of low self-esteem. However, we talked about twenty minutes and, to an extent, it felt good. 

Linda, wife of cousin Kevin, texted me, confirming the June 21st date for their arrival; they'll leave on the 24th. She said she hoped they didn't "slow me down," as they both have some problems walking, she because of a broken back in 2016, he because he has Parkinson's. No prob, it's fine by me to just go places by car or whatever. 

Still on my food prep kick, I defrosted ground turkey, as well as an onion/pepper combination I had fixed the other day, and made my turnkey stir-fry. This time, I added what was left of the spinach, so it made three good-sized portions. Had one for dinner (it was yum) and stowed the rest in the freezer for later.

Ellen called and will be here about 11:00, after which we'll go to school and work on organizing her classroom. She and Greg and dinner together the other day and will remain friends, which I was happy to hear. 

Unfortunately, I had trouble sleeping last night. Had to answer Nature's annoying call not once, but twice. I do feel rested now, though. 

No comments:

Thursday

On my way to Von's in the morning, I stopped into Great Clips to see if Maria was available. She wasn't, so I decided to try later i...