Thursday, January 18, 2024

Wednesday

At nine am yesterday, I received a text from Lora to the effect that she was unable to go to Santa Barbara today. She and Julie were going to take me to see Betty, then take me to lunch (for my birthday) at The Boathouse, overlooking the ocean. Unfortunately, a serious family situation had come up. I've been aware of this continuing problem for some time and believe me, nobody should have to endure what she has. Anyway, she asked if we could go another time. That's fine by me--it wouldn't matter to Betty and never will again--and okay with Julie, so we'll plan something for later. I called niece Carolyn to tell her and we had a good, long talk. I'll let her know when we're able to go.

I was still trying to find a schedule for Bus 50 so I can get to Thousand Oaks to see my new acquaintance, Katie. I printed one out from the web site, but it didn't come out right and I couldn't read it well. Called and asked where I could get one--City Hall and the Ventura Visitors Center, I was told and they're both in town. Paked my lunch and bused to the transit center to go there, but a Vista bus came in and the driver gave me a schedule. However, I went into town, anyway. It was pretty chilly and overcast, but reasonably comfortable, and I ate my lunch in my usual spot across from the mission. Here's the fountain and mural across from the mission which I like so much:  

                                             

It has a Chinese theme, as so many settled there after working on the newly-constructed railroad. A short street nearby is called "China Alley."

I didn't stick around, but left right after my lunch, getting home before three. I then spent several hours on still more clearing out and packing up my GoodWill donations. Now one side of the living room is full of boxes and bag and there's much, much more to come.

I then remembered I had committed to doing the program for T.O.P.S. this week and--oops, that's tomorrow. I already have quite of bit of material chronicling the dangers of our abysmal nutritional downslide, thanks to the proliferation of fast food, processed food, sugar-added food. Teamed with a lack of exercise and other life habits, the rise of obesity, diabetes, and other ailments is horrendously apparent, especially among children.  Just as militarism is now thoroughly normalized due partly to slogans ("be all you can be," "thank a soldier"), so is eating one's way to the grave. I spent some time on formulating the program and will firm it up today. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...